Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM

Question pisgah,mt mitchell,south toe area info

I have the week of Thanksgiving off and have rented a cabin on Neil's creek a feeder of the S toe. The cabin is between Mt Mitchell Golf Club and Black Mountain Campground, Never fished this area before. Would prefer wild water C&R. any help appreciated, or if anyone free to get out that week let me know. PM if need be. As always not looking for your honey hole just a little direction. Delorme map looks promising.
thanks Fishhead
Old 11-15-2010, 04:43 PM

Wild Water at and above Black Mtn campground.
Catch and Release water starts where upper creek enters the river.
If you decide to fish the hatchery section near Carolina Hemlocks campground, be careful of private land, land owners can be unpleasant in those parts.

You might jump over the parkway and fish Curtis Creek or Newberry Creek one day.

If you need any help from the locals, try One Fly Outfitters in Black Mountain, behind "my father's pizza", they are extremely nice, welcoming, & helpful.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:59 PM

Fishhead, you'll be fishing "almost" in my back yard.
The water temps have really dropped in the area and the fishing may be tough in the wild, freestoner streams. Think heavy nymphs in deep runs. If the wild waters dont treat you well (time of year), head over to Spruce Pine and fish the Delayed Harvest waters on North Toe River that runs right thru town. Plenty of easy access and willing fish.
Be careful fishing the wild waters around S.Toe and area around Neals Creek...our firearms deer season will be in full swing. I personally avoid fishing that area during firearms deer season. If you do go, wear plenty of blaze orange.
Mark 1:17
Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 PM

Darrin and Grannyknow have given you a some good information. I never seem to do well in that area in the winter time. The feeder creeks come form high off the mountains, and the water can be very cold. Fish in the warmest part of the day, and unlike the rest of the year actually search out sunny spots. They can sometimes be a couple of degrees warmer which means the difference in feeding or not.