Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2010, 03:55 PM

Default A hunting/fishing story

Went deer hunting this weekend at a friend's place near Paris TN. Long story short, I missed a chance at a buck (hesitated trying to decide if he was big enough and then he was gone) but my buddy and another friend got an 8pt, a doe and a coyote. It was a great weekend but the real story is how we collected the doe. Here's my friends description of the events that transpired...I'm the one holding the fish.

I shot at a doe that I thought I missed. Unbeknownst to me, the doe was wounded and about 15 minutes later, the doe jumped into a pond and expired. The spectacle was witnessed by a friend (Joel) hunting out of a tree stand overlooking the pond. Rather than swim out to retrieve the deer, we retrieved a fishing rod and a bass plug, hoping to snag the deer and drag it into shore. Joel caught a 2 pound bass on his first cast, and another 2 pounder shortly after. Unfortunately, the lure was not very effective at hooking the deer, so Joel walked into the pond on top of a brush pile trying to get close enough to the deer to push it ashore with a stick. Meanwhile, I kept trying to snag the deer with the lure. On my second or third cast, I caught a 2 pound bass, and on my fourth or fifth cast, I felt a strike and then somehow snagged the deer (or so I thought) and was able to pull the deer slowly into shore. With the deer about halfway to shore, I realized I also had a fish on. Turns out, this bass was about 5 pounds-ish, and when it hit the lure it somehow managed to wrap the line around the deer's front leg. The deer is visible in the lower left hand portion of the picture. True story.