Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-18-2010, 05:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default an actual fishing report! LR 11/18

I fished the Little River above Metcalf Bottoms starting around 10 today. The water was still up a good bit, however it was no where near to high to fish. I fished mostly big holes using a muddler minnow with a pheasant tail dropper. I caught quite a few rainbows dead drifting the two flies, and I had a killer bite while stripping the line in after a long drift. The bite knocked the slack clean out of the line, and I still missed the fish clean..I also had on a heavy fish which bit on the swing, but I never got to see what it was. All in all I probably caught a dozen rainbows and one brown in about 3 hours of fishing. I never saw anyone else fishing, but I did see 3 groups of wood ducks on the river between metcalf and elkmont, and a group of 3 mergansers. Kind of odd I thought to see so many ducks that far up in the mountains.. Anyway, it was a great day to be on the water!
Old 11-18-2010, 05:35 PM

Sounds like a great day! Were they hitting the muddler or PT more? What was the water temp like?
Old 11-18-2010, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the write up.
Sounds like a very successful day on the water.
Mergansers in the mountains.....something I've never seen. Being a diving duck, I didn't figure they'd have any interest in a small stream. Very cool though.

That's my favorite species of duck.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I did not take a water temp today, however I would say it was close to 50..maybe 48ish? I saw some very small mayflies early. I would guess they were BWO however I did not even attempt to catch one to ID it. The hatch, if that is what you want to call it, was sparse at best. Most of the fish came on the pheasant tail, size 14. I did however catch a couple on the muddler. The heavy fish I lost while swinging the flies could have eaten either fly, and the fish I missed while stripping I woul say ate the muddler. It was an awfully hard strike.

As far as the mergansers, while it may be odd, it is not the first ones I have ever seen on the Little. Usually in the dead of winter you can see a few down by the Y. They are a diving duck, and a fairly large bird as ducks go, but I guess as long as there is a food source available they are happy campers.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great day.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:37 PM

That's a great day fishing, any way you cut it! Thanks for the report!
Old 11-25-2010, 11:21 PM

We had a group of wood ducks that hung around the Bone Valley site on Hazel Creek a couple years ago. That was pretty cool.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com