Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Boats, Canoes and Kayaks

Old 10-05-2010, 10:57 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Well, I've been working on the boat/trailer over the past week or so. I finished up the trailer on Saturday. I cleaned out the hubs, replaced the bearings and grease and bought new wheels and tires. I also removed the old bunks, cleaned and repainted the trailer, installed new bunks and carpet and added new LED lights and wiring harness. put a new safety chain also. The trailer is in good shape for several years now.

I put the boat back on the trailer and cleaned the inside and outside did a water leak test and only found a couple of leaks on the hull. easily fixed with some 3M 5200. I removed all the wood seats and the entire middle back bench to open up the floor.

Next step is the paint the interior and add some non-slip grip to the floor. replace the seats with new wood. thinking about urethane to show the woodgrain on the benches.
The outside of the boat will be painted after that. thinking I may go with a grey bottom and dark green or navy blue sides above the waterline. gonna flip it onto saw horses and get the bottom fully prepped before I do that.

Looking for a 15-20 hp outboard, 1990s or newer if anyone has one for sale. Bought a MK 50lb thrust trolling motor to use for now.
Looking good! Great Progress! The boat looks very sound already...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-05-2010, 08:10 PM

x2........ great job

Thought of a few pics. I took in Alaska of some shelves the guide had welded onto his boat. This might not be an idea for a v-bottom, but it might get the wheels turning in your head for something that would work for you. They sure were handy for keeping the rods out of the floor and laying things such as pliers, drinks, and lures on while fishing. Just a thought.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:16 AM

stll working on the boat when I have free time. I guess I should be thankful for a full time job to pay the bills, but it sure puts a dent in the fishing and boat mods time! I worked on it last sunday afternoon cleaning and prepping the bottom for paint. Painted the sides on monday evening and the bottom on Tuesday. getting ready to seal the bottom with Gluvit and then prime and paint the floor. I'm trying to get all the painting finished before cold weather sets in. The red makes it look fast doesn't it

Old 10-21-2010, 01:31 PM

Looking sharp!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 PM

hey Gary.....really like that Scarlet & Gray paint job, now just a little Brutus Buckeye on the side and it should be all set......ohhhh darn, shouldn't have said that on this site.......nice looking project anyways

Buckeyetrouter
(Bob)
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 10-21-2010, 04:04 PM

Hey Bob, its actually New Holland red and Massey Ferguson grey tractor implement paint. I bought it from Jen. She said you were getting ready for another mission trip soon.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:14 AM

Troutman,
The paint job looks fabulous. An idea I used; you could add a small contrast line between the red/grey-black or something dark would look great. I would actually spray a clear coat over that paint job to help it retain its luster.

I like dark colors on the inside walls of the boat and a light color for the floors. I usually go flat or a matte finish on the floor to limit refraction when it gets wet. Here is an early picture of my boat with a contrast line in silver. I just taped it with masking tape and sprayed painted the line.

Excellent Job and Great Looking Boat!

Keeping us updated!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 10-22-2010 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Added a pic of my boat (reference)
Old 10-22-2010, 03:42 PM

well it looks great anyways Gary......you have done a great job with the work you have done to the boat. I will be leaving for Haiti on November 8th to build homes approx 1.5hrs north of Port Au Prince then we return to Africa for the whole month of June in 2011 to continue our ministry on the islands of Lake Victoria. I am looking for a microscope to take with us for the high school we built last year. If you know of anyone who has one laying around keep us in mind (cannot be powered, no electricity on the islands).

Looks like you are having fun with your project, sometimes that is 1/2 the fun. I am planning on building a project fly rod for our Uganda Missions Pastor. He fishes for Nile Perch so I am trying to find out the size of perch he has access to so I know what size of rod to build...this also will be a fun project for me....

I built a fly rod for Jennifer and now she fishes the park way more than her father......hoping to get down Seymour way soon to visit her and spend some time in the park....

God Bless & Good Fishing
Bob
Old 10-22-2010, 03:50 PM

hey Gary...just a side note: if you have seen River Monsters when the guy catches a 150lb Nile Perch at the foot of Murchison Falls on the White Nile, we have actually been to that very spot.....and yes, there are crocs in the water that he was wading in....as for me, I stayed on dry land......
Old 11-29-2010, 12:11 AM

Finally finished up the boat and now all it needs is an outboard motor. I've looked at a few used 10hp, but may end up saving for awhile and buying a new one.
I have been working on the boat on weekends and after I painted the interior last week, I cut and fitted the new wood for the bench seating. Went with 3/4" oak plywood that I stained and then 3 coats of spar urethane to seal the wood but still show the wood grain through. I added cup holders and a work bench/ fish measure table to the sides where the old rear middle bench was. Removing that bench opened up the floor space for me to stand and cast.
I painted the interior with Parkers "Bay Grey" duck boat paint after I self- etched primed the sides and floor. The floor paint got an additional material called "sharkskin". It is a non-slip additive pumice material that makes the floor easy to stand on when wet. The Parkers paint is semi flat and is non reflective. I will probably add some rod tubes to store rigged fly rods down the sides like drift boats have.
Here is a couple shots of the interior now.

I also installed a bow mount anchor roller with a jam cleat for my drag chain or if in the lake , a small mushroom anchor.

The boat is ready other than putting my numbers on and reg. sticker. hopefully come spring, it will have a motor, but till then, the 50lb thrust transom trolling motor will suffice.
1967 14ft Starcraft Super Star. less than $700 in the whole rig so far, including the 2 new seats I found at Kmart for $4.99 each on closeout! They just happened to color match the boat.