Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 12-19-2010, 06:25 PM

Thumbs up Chattahoochee 12/19/10

Yesterday, 12/18, we went up to spend the weekend fishing the Nantahala DH, but came home early due to harsh fishing conditions. We also fished the lower portion by the NOC center and did good with black zebra midges. They were all wild rainbows and browns about 6-10" long. After this we drove home.

Today, 12/19, I woke up and did my weekend routine of making myself breakfast and looking at NGTO, South Eastern Fly Fishing Fourum, and LRO's forums to see how everyone else did. On NGTO's forum I found a post that said Jones Bridge on the Chattahoochee was fishing pretty good. This is the only section of the Chattahoochee my Dad and I are familiar with. I showed my Dad and he asked if I wanted to fish there. I said sure, so at about 9:45 we pulled out of our driveway. By 10:30 we were on the water and fishing. There was already some people in a drif tboat fishing just down stream of the ramp, so we went upstream a little bit. We started fishing and hooked fish right away. All average bows that managed to escape the bait fisherman of GA's 2010 trout season.

This was my first one. It had a messed up eye. We continued down the very long pool that is below the island at JB. We were picking up more SNIT's here and there. The key was to keep it deep and near structure. After about 20 minutes of drifting we had got probably 6 or 7.
All of these fish were much more colored up than they were in the summer. They were also fighting much harder. We kept drifting and picking up another fish here and there. We also picked up a couple browns.
All of the browns here are wild fish. A few years ago studied were conducted on their reproduction. The concluded that they could be self sustaining, so they ceased the stockings of browns. Since then, more studies have been done that show that 70-80% of the trout in the upper part of the tailwater are wild browns. For us they average about 7 inches, yet on others we set the hook on and they come flying back at us. We are yet to hook a big one. Our biggest is 12". We kept drifting down to the lower end of the long pool to a place we call "The Aquarium". We anchored up and fished. We caught 4 or 5 here and kept drifting down. We went down through the shoals below the aquarium and caught a couple. We then continued down to a place we like to get out and wade. This spot has a shollow shoal in the middle with a very long series of runs and riffles on the right side that always holds fish. On the left there are more boulders that have some shorter runs and pocket water. I prefer this side and my Dad likes the other. I usually pick up quite a few at this shoal, but today wasn't as good. I still managed 3 or 4 and my dad got about the same. Most were just more stockers that survived the season although my dad and I each got nice 9" browns. We didn't get a picture because we didnt feel like dragging the fish all the way back to the boat. After about 1.5 hours of fishing this section, we walked back up to the boat. We made the decision that we were done for the day. We motored back up to the ramp and left.

Here are some more picks from today

An average rainbow.

We had a few double's today.

Me fishing the shoal we waded at.

The boat anchored up.

Overall it was a good day. We wound up with about 25 combined. It fished a lot better than the Nantahala DH did the day before. The lake has turned over, so the water is a greenish color. I did see quite a few BWO's about #24, but only a few fish were rising. Anyone that lives near Atlanta should give this place a shot. It fishes well with #14-18 lightning bugs. The fish seem to really like them. Well, thanks for reading.

Garrett
Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 PM

Thanks for posting! I'll be headed that way in a few weeks.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:42 AM

You should definately give it a shot. There are plenty of fish now. My Dad and I are no experts by any means, so someone more experienced could definately catch more than we did.
Garrett