Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-15-2010, 11:28 AM

Post TN-River/Stream Accident Website

I hope this website's information may help illustrate how dangerous the rivers/streams can be...Be mindful that most of these accidents are related to kayaking and at high cfs flows. However; some of the accident reports can help you get an idea of situational awareness on the river. I hope this will help keep some of my fellow fly fishermen safe!

Accident Reports:
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/co...rize/state/TN/

River Flow/Whitewater Classification List
(Most of the larger tail-waters are excluded from this list):

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/co...mary/state/TN/
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 12-15-2010 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Added Flow List
Old 12-15-2010, 12:01 PM

That list seems incomplete there has been at least one death in the Caney fork in the last couple of years related to boating and it was not listed from what I saw. I can think of at least two other deaths in the Caney recently but to the best of my knowledge those involved wading anglers, and maybe one bridge jumper.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:14 PM

gutshot,
It may be incomplete...? I believe it is compiled by whitewater enthusiasts and not by a government agency. It was the best I could find when I was searching the internet.

Maybe someone else can find a better report...?
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-15-2010, 01:47 PM

Rather interesting statistics. But, I wonder, by statistically interpolating, how that compares to the number of auto acccident deaths in the same time period. It is more dangerous driving to your hunting area that hunting itself. Neverless, it pays to be careful and don't take any unnecessary chances. I worked with a fellow who kayaked the Ocoee when it was running over 12,000 cfs. He remarked that he doesn't know why he did it.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
Rather interesting statistics. But, I wonder, by statistically interpolating, how that compares to the number of auto acccident deaths in the same time period. It is more dangerous driving to your hunting area that hunting itself. Neverless, it pays to be careful and don't take any unnecessary chances. I worked with a fellow who kayaked the Ocoee when it was running over 12,000 cfs. He remarked that he doesn't know why he did it.
Did your co-worker have a sidecar than carried his balls?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 PM

Yes, it must have been a pair! For sure!
Old 12-20-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
That list seems incomplete there has been at least one death in the Caney fork in the last couple of years related to boating and it was not listed from what I saw. I can think of at least two other deaths in the Caney recently but to the best of my knowledge those involved wading anglers, and maybe one bridge jumper.
The guy that complies the list relies on others to report the info. If you have a newspaper clipping or link, I am sure American Whitewater would update the database.

PS, Ocoee is not that difficult at 12,000 cfs, just a few holes to avoid. Takes about 20 minutes to run. Floating trees, oil drums, picnic tables, and convertible car tops can be an issue though.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Just started kayaking last year on tame streams. As someone who has never navigated moving water before it was an eye opener. Things can go wrong pretty quick.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old east tn boy View Post
Just started kayaking last year on tame streams. As someone who has never navigated moving water before it was an eye opener. Things can go wrong pretty quick.
I live in Farragut, and while I love me some good creekin', tame water is just fine with me. I would love to find some people whose primary interest was fishing to do some Class 1-2 streams with.

Some things on the water are completely counter-intuitave (leaning upstream for example) and take some getting used to. The most important thing is to relax and stay loose, and learn some good navigation skills.

And even swimming whitewater is fine once you get used to it. Lets see just in the last 2 weeks I have swam: Little - The Sinks waterfall, Left line of Bottoms up, The elbow, The bottom hole of Diaper Wiaper right below Baby Falls. As long as your properly dressed, it's pretty fun, and sure beats the couch