Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 12-17-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
I've never fished it myself, but for someone who is a tourist and just wants to catch a few trout it isn't all that bad of a deal. Don't forget you don't have to buy an NC license It's really not that bad if you were going to fish it even 3 or 4 times a year. Daily rod fees are much higher in most places, and quite a few of them make you hire a guide as well to fish their waters. There is some talk of expanding the program to include more water. It's not for me, but all in all I don't think it's a bad deal.
I agree. While I have fished Cherokee several years ago, I have never fished the trophy water. I am almost exclusively into wild trout and will only rarely fish DH water. But, if you look at the prices of most "private" stocked trout water, and you are into pellet pigs, this is not a bad deal. A lot of the private water is at least $150 per day without a guide. If you were to fish the trophy water in Cherokee six times a year, I believe you would wind up paying less than $23 per trip including the price of the daily permit. The higher prices will probably make the angling experience much better with less fisherman. I also understand that they will increase the mileage of the trophy water. It really would be nice if they made the lower Oconaluftee trophy water, that would make a great float. I might have to jump into that experience.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:14 PM

I also think they have a 3 day pass for $25 plus the daily rod fee on the reservation. Not a bad deal for someone on vacation for a couple days.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBB View Post
I agree. While I have fished Cherokee several years ago, I have never fished the trophy water. I am almost exclusively into wild trout and will only rarely fish DH water. But, if you look at the prices of most "private" stocked trout water, and you are into pellet pigs, this is not a bad deal. A lot of the private water is at least $150 per day without a guide. If you were to fish the trophy water in Cherokee six times a year, I believe you would wind up paying less than $23 per trip including the price of the daily permit. The higher prices will probably make the angling experience much better with less fisherman. I also understand that they will increase the mileage of the trophy water. It really would be nice if they made the lower Oconaluftee trophy water, that would make a great float. I might have to jump into that experience.
IMHO Cherokee water does not favorably compare to any established and privately owned commercial "trophy water" in the Southeast. Not even close to the experience you can get elsewhere. People sloshing through your hole while you're fishing it? Walking into your backcast shouting "You ketchin anything?" Dogs playing in the water near you. The sound of school buses and stadium PA systems blaring around you. Onlookers pestering you. Mothers bringing their 12 kids down for a swim and pushing you out of a good pool.

Although I'm no big cheerleader for pellet fed experiences.....

Not. Even. Close.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:29 PM

Owl--I would add to your list of irritants folks in float tubes drifting through pools, locals tossing cat and dog food to fish, and some (though certainly not all) guides acting as if the water "belongs" to their clients and them. Mind you, these are just observations from out of the water (I occasionally stop at the old bridge crossing from the Park housing area to the Cherokee High School and observe the zoo). Like you, none of this is my cup of tea, and it's not too late for the Cherokee Tribal Fisheries folks to rescue this boon (to many) before it becomes a boondoggle.

I actually think the increased cost might have hidden benefits (fewer fishermen), and it needs to be remembered that even at $75 you are far short of a day's rod fee on fine private waters such as the Soque. Other things Tribal Fisheries might consider are expanding the area of trophy water, either a guided only or no guides approach (one appeals to novices, the other to highly experienced anglers--or it could be a mix of the two), and stern control of obnoxious behavior which ruins the experience. It will be really interesting to see how it unfolds, although I'll watch from afar. After all, I can cast to wild fish just yards away (where Luftee enters Raven Fork) and in all liklihood, especially on a week day, have the stream all to myself.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 12-25-2010, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
Not even close to the experience you can get elsewhere. People sloshing through your hole while you're fishing it? Walking into your backcast shouting "You ketchin anything?" Dogs playing in the water near you. The sound of school buses and stadium PA systems blaring around you. Onlookers pestering you. Mothers bringing their 12 kids down for a swim and pushing you out of a good pool.
Never fished it and , personally, I wouldn't pay $25 dollars to fish it, let alone $75. But then again, Owl's description sounds like July 4th, Memorial day, and labor day weekend on (insert any Tennessee tailwater here).

The thing I like about the Cherokee fishery is that, considering the advertising and attention that is seems to get, it probably keeps some of the pressure off of other streams in the area. For that reason, I hate to see such a steep fee increase.