Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-28-2010, 12:33 AM

gmreeves,

The book is titled Another Country. The biggest issue from what I have read is that the Park was too small for the wolves wide ranging needs. Their demise had nothing to do with stupidity, it was more due to the roads, highways and communities that surround the Park. The Park also lacks early successional habitat, which leads to less small animals, deer and rodents for wolves to eat. Wolves aren't near as adaptable to humans and their influences as coyotes, which intermingle in suburbs, etc. I understand the red wolves are doing better in western carolina, where there is a much larger area of contiguous forest than the Park. Probably less anti freeze available for their consumption and less vehicles to mow them over.

Also, around 7-8 yrs ago I found a red wolf reintroduction sign while exploring the lower section of Sams Creek. This was before the opened the stream up for fishing. Used to be able to hike in that area and hardly see a soul except diehard hikers on the Defeat Ridge Manway. Not being negative, but I enjoyed that area a lot more before they opened it up to fishing for specs to the masses.

Neal
Old 12-28-2010, 12:40 AM

gmreeves,

Below is a link to the red wolf reintroduction project in NC.

http://www.fws.gov/redwolf/

Neal