Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Boats, Canoes and Kayaks

Old 01-17-2011, 04:52 PM

Just an FYI, but I need to sell one of my three river boats:

1) 14' Cataraft, set-up for 2 people, but you could easily go with three. Frame and tubes have not even been in the water.

2) Outcast Pac 1400 -- well used but still has a couple years left on Aire's 10 year no fault warranty.

3) 13' Gheenoe

Feel free to send a message if you need more details.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey View Post
Not sure if this subject is dead or not. But thought I would offer a little different point of view from somebody that rows a little different boat.

I have rowed Hydes and Clacka's low and high sides in the past. So I am not going to go into that as Waterwolf gave a really good description of both.

What I do row and have rowed for the past 5 years is a Boulder Boat Works drift boat. The boat is made primarily of HDPE, and is welded using the plastic weld technology. It is not a rotomold like the Hog, therefore not nearly as bulky or cumbersome. The gunnels are oak, the casting decks and ribbing is mahogony. She is a high side boat 17 feet in length. I have rowed the Hiwassee, part of the Colorado, the Clinch, Holston, South Holston and Watauga in it. High water on some low water on others. I have taken some nasty hits and put her in places that made me pucker.

The Pro's, the boat is about bomb proof. The plastic make up of the boat is extremely strong. It is giving but not soft by any means. The slick bottom allows me to belly up to and slide over rocks that I see many aluminum and fiberglass boats get stuck on. My version also has full bench storage under the front seat and rowers position. So there is plenty of dry storage. She is a little bigger boat than most on the water which allows more room to move and gear to store. Also the seats that came it are some the most comfortable that I have ever set on. It is easy to clean and doesn't hold water stain. It has classic lines and is very easy on the eyes. Not sure about the Hog Islands, but my boat has never warped.

The Cons, she is heavy. Not tremendously so, but her size and weight make her float a tad deeper. Which makes her not as nimble. Once you get her on top of the water she will hold, but it takes a good pull to do so. I have 8.5 foot oars, I could see myself easily switching over to 9 or 9.5. While she isn't easly pushed by the wind, you have to be true on your line when dealing with fast water. Because once you are in it you are committed. Also the wood work requires more time and maintance seasonly. The varnish will wear off and you find yourself sanding and reapplying every so often. One day (luckily not anytime soon) the chine will need to be worked on, so finding a person that works with HDPE is not quite as easy as finding someone that works with Fiberglass.

All in all I have enjoyed her.

Boulder Boat Works offers varying packages and customizing what you want is not hard.

http://www.boulderboatworks.com/bbw_driftboats.html

I don't sell them, I make nothing off of them. Just thought I would provide a link so you could check them out.

Petey
Is this LDPE used in this boat? I have used HDPE for many years and it is super heavy and strong. Very nice looking boat. I am curious if they utilized any resins in the process. I know HDPE and LDPE are horrible for vertical encapsulation in resin. Thanks for sharing the information. I like the styling and lines on this boat.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 01-18-2011, 11:36 PM

Bfish I might be interested in that oucast. Care to send me some pictures and info to clinchriverflyfishing@gmail.com
Old 01-21-2011, 12:08 PM

Madison, from my understanding the hull and chine are constructed using HDPE. When you ask about the use of Resins, I am not exactly sure what the process is. The hull appears to be made of three pieces. From front to back is a solid sheet of plastic. The bow is then reinforced and welded, instead of being tacked or fastened. The stern is another sheet that is cut and welded. The chine appears to be one solid piece and nearly an inch thick, which is then welded outside and in to the hull of the boat. The benches and rear seat support, along with the raised floors are all made of the same plastic. It just appears the use different thickness's of the plastic. Most everything in the boat appears to be screwed or weld in place.

On their website they offer a do it yourself building kit which might answer some of your questions.

Petey
Old 01-24-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
Bfish I might be interested in that oucast. Care to send me some pictures and info to clinchriverflyfishing@gmail.com
Email sent.