Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-20-2011, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. As for how old the bear print is, I admit Im no expert tracker, so I appreciate the input as to what to look for. I just noticed that most of the other tracks we saw, deer mainly, were very melted, almost unrecognizable except for the mud print underneath, so when I saw the detail left in this print, I assumed it was fresher. I never said how recent I thought the track was, just commented on the detail visible, i.e. the claw marks.
Im not exactly sure what the "brave" comment is about, though. I was simply posting a picture of a bear track, which I thought was interesting and other members here would find interesting. I never made a comment about how "brave" I thought I was for being there. Thanks anyway though.

As for my kids equipment, I admitted in the post we didnt have the right gear. We moved here from Texas in March, so we dont have a lot of cold weather gear. I thought the rubber boots would work, but we learned our lesson. They had warmer clothes in their packs (thermals), they were warm from hiking in the picture and had shed their coats. My boys and I have fun, we experience things a lot of others dont, they love it, and so do I, but I take no risks with my boys. When they were cold, we warmed them up, and the second I realized that spending the night wasnt a good idea we immediately turned around. Again, I dont take risks with my boys. You dont learn until you experience, and we learned a lot on this trip. Dont mistake that for being unprepared or stupid. The trip was short so we could get back to the car if we needed to, which we did. These things were all thought out, on purpose.
So anyway, as I said IN MY POST ,we learned our lesson, rubber boots suck, we are keeping an eye out for deals on boots for the boys for next winter.

Diamonddave, that was my understanding too, the reason I posted this too was the irony of Byron saying not to expect to see a bear in this cold in the fishing report the other day. I thought it was funny/ironic.

Jay

Last edited by JayB; 01-20-2011 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: .
Old 01-20-2011, 10:38 AM

JayB...good for you for taking your kids out on a winter hike. I applaud your motivation to get your kids outdoors. Better than sitting at home playing video games or watching tv. You also made the right decision by turning it into an extended hike rather than overnighter.

Bears don't hibernate in the traditional sense in the smokies, they just take extended naps. Warmer days speeds up their metabolism which wakes them up and makes them stir around.

I bet 3 pairs of good waterproof hiking boots is a hefty expense. Keep an eye out for some on clearance.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Diamonddave--Bears in the Smokies just sort of semi-hibernate. They may climb into a hollow tree or similar location and snooze for a week or two, then roust themelves and roam a bit. A good deal of research on their hibernating habits was done a decade or more ago by Mike Pelton (I think I remember the name correctly, but if not, someone where will set me straight) back through use of tracking devices. You can certainly see a bear in the winter, but it is much less likely than during the warm weather months.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 01-20-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
I bet 3 pairs of good waterproof hiking boots is a hefty expense. Keep an eye out for some on clearance.

Or get a bunch of duct tape and thick black garbage bags...
Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Jay, I commend you on taking your boys on these trips.Your pictures from the summer trip have inspired me to get my boys in the backcountry.We plan to have a few GSMNP excursions this year of our own.Wished I lived closer.One of these days I'm gonna do it, pick up and move to East Tennessee!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:57 AM

Seeing that bear track convinced me to buy a bear bell. I noticed there was no guarantee with the bell, and the bear bell sounds a lot like a dinner bell.
I carry more snacks than flies in my fishing vest so I am a bear magnet. I have been afraid of bears ever since one bluff charged me and showed his teeth!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:29 AM

grannyknot- there are a couple of issues with kids gear. One is even finding it. Try finding good hiking boots in a toddler size 9, even boys size 1 or 2 can be hard to find, and when you do find it, they are as expensive as adult shoes, and then the kids outgrow them by the next season. Im keeping a watchful eye out for clearance sales and at all the local goodwills too. sometimes though, you just have to be creative.

Nate-too creative.

canetuck-thanks for the comment.

rivergal- this leads me to one issue that I am unsure of, and does kind of bother me. IF I were to meet an aggressive bear on the trail, and Im the only adult with the boys, what is my plan of action? Lots of things to consider, and I just hope it never happens. At least with three boys, I never have to worry about making enough noise to make the bears aware of us. Im sure they can hear us from miles away!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 AM

HEy Rivergal based on your snacks to flies ratio I think I want to fish with you

JayB
I don't know a thing about tracking but thanks for the picture. I enjoyed it. I may be showing age but when I was young and in scouts we got boots at the supply store which was like TSC but local. They were hiking, work, cold weather, warm weather, snake season etc...

Some kids got those mountain climbing style boots with red laces and vibram souls but those were mostly worn by the kids who had money. The rest of us went with the work boot style or a little older army surplus.

Looking back the day they saw the bear track with dad will go down as one of their "coolest days"
Old 01-21-2011, 02:47 PM

Jim,

I just read your article in the Tuck Reader on horses in the park and the one on bears. I agree with you on horse people donating some time to mitigate some of the damage their horses do and other points you made.

Your (almost scathing) article on bears and the mismanagement of park officials due to a lack of caring and/or a superiority complex is on point as far I am concerned. I felt you gave them a well deserved verbal "butt kicken". Their attitude can be traced to many other problems in the park in which laws and rules are broken all the time and I'm sure you're well aware of them. Good work, thanks for your common sense no holds barred approach in print. Tell it like it is...let the whiners eat cheese.

Whitefeather