Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 PM

Default Why I don't trust environmentalists

A fishing buddy of mine in California sent me this article about something called a Yellow Legged Mountain Frog, as an example of the mindset that is taking hold in that state and it's gov't:
http://anuranblog.blogspot.com/2009/...e-streams.html

Quote:
The findings of this study serve as yet another example of the considerable impacts of trout introductions on Sierra Nevada aquatic ecosystems. Given the almost complete absence of watersheds anywhere in the Sierra Nevada that haven't been stocked with trout, it is clear that we need to think about how to restore at least some entire watersheds to their historic fishless condition
and, in the comments to the article:
Quote:
Unfortunately, a halt to stocking will not be sufficient to remove trout from those streams and lakes where they have been introduced as most quickly establish self-sustaining populations. Those populations can only be eliminated using active removal methods (e.g., gill nets in lakes, electrofishing and piscicides in streams)

I'm afraid this stuff is in our future, as well,

Wayne
Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 PM

Would someone explain to me how these people know that there were fishless streams in the Sierras? The quality of stupidity in this country is amazing!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:58 PM

Special Interest Groups (mostly liberal) are the tail that wags the Government dog.

We have become a country of too many supposedly good ideas that all seek a government remedy and money; the State and Federal bureaucracy readily accepts and endorses any idea or notion put forth by anyone claiming a constituency that makes them more powerful, gives them a bigger budget and usurps more of our liberty.

Anyone remember the snail darter?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Anyone remember the snail darter?
Let's talk about what a huge booming success story that project has become.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:58 AM

Sort of like the Cherohala Skyway from the Tellico River and Robbinsville, NC. Has it made any impact on the economy in that area? I have driven it twice. The first time we saw two vehicles- parked just over the NC state line. Deer hunter, I'm thinking. We didn't see anything until we were almost to R'ville. The second time we probably saw 8 or 10 cars between R'ville and the Tellico River.
Snail darter? Do they taste like chicken?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 AM

John--The Cherohala Highway was not only a boondoggle in terms of use (although it does get considerable crotch rocket traffic in the summer); it did considerable harm to the fishery in that whole drainage area. Did you happen to notice the $750,000 "crossing" for flying squirrels towards the upper end? The sheer stupidity of today's environmentalists, and, sadly, of too many so-called wildlife biologists (especially those fresh out of college) is beyond comprehension.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 02-02-2011, 11:02 AM

$750,000 for a squirrel crossing? I'm in the wrong business...
Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 PM

I'll bet there are annual management, operation and maintenance expenses on that critter crossing and I would like to bid on these services.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:32 AM

How did they spend 750k for that I can only imagine a sign? I have driven the skyway a few times but missed it. Is it a wildlife overpass or something?

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 02-03-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
How did they spend 750k for that I can only imagine a sign? I have driven the skyway a few times but missed it. Is it a wildlife overpass or something?
Adam, next time your up there look for some out of place poles on the sides of the road. I think the flying squirrels are supposed to glide from one to another. It's pretty goofy.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com