Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-14-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
I think the internal memory of the Summit HC is 24mb.

I found the National Parks East 24K map available from various sellers at about $75-90, shows it is compatible with this unit, but naturally there's something I don't understand. The size of this particular map looks to be 309mb. So how does that "fit" on the GPS unit?

The ultimate question remains, will this unit with no SD card be sufficient to use for fishing in the park and NF areas?

sb
It's a little late me seeing this post but if you never bought any maps, I will be happy to help you out. My buddy has your model (I bought the one with the SD card) and I saved exactly what would fit and was able to get the park in 20 ft contours (much better than topo 100k and even better than 24 K Nat Parks), all trails marks, and all of Tom Dunigan's waterfalls, arches, peaks, etc. I live in Knoxville, TN, but could maybe mail you a cd with the data if your far away
Old 12-15-2010, 11:48 PM

I have the Garmin Oregon 450 and have been quite happy with it. I got the South East 24K topo map (I think it's the one, has Tennessee, Kentucky and most of the areas I hike and fish) and I got the US City Navigator maps too so I can use it in my car as well as on the trail. Just swap the card when on the trail, and put city navigator back in when on the road.
fast pick up of the stas, accuracy seem reasonable, waterproof. Like Madison said, it does like batteries, but I keep a couple sets of rechargables in my bag and put a recharger in there as well. I can recharge batteries overnight if I'm in a hotel and keep a couple extra sets with me when not in a hotel.

Seems to work out just fine for me.

Jeff
Old 12-16-2010, 09:54 PM

I bit the bullet last month and got the Garmin GPSmap 62 st with the central Atlantic 1/24,000 topo on micro SD card. Since I plan to do more hunting and a lot more kayaking in the future I figured it would be worth the investment. It has already come in handy moving around the north Cumberland WMA. I really cannot compare it to any previous experiences since this is my first GPS unit but I love it. It does like to eat batteries though.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
I have the Garmin Oregon 450 and have been quite happy with it. I got the South East 24K topo map (I think it's the one, has Tennessee, Kentucky and most of the areas I hike and fish).............Jeff
Jeff, how do you like the SE 24K maps? Are they detailed? Does is show GSMNP backcountry campsites? I have the National Parks East 24K, but have asked for the SE 24K dvd for christmas.

I am also curious about the coverage detail of Pisgah NF, if you've used it over there.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:46 PM

Post DeLorme - Earthmate PN-60W GPS

I have the Garmin SE 24K Mapset. It has great detail when viewed on your PC in Mapsource. However; the translation to the GPS is not as good. It may be better in the newer #50 models...? You can use the POI loader and import geographic details that you want and put them on your Garmin. Mapsource is nice to clean up your waypoints and trips - Post trip. However; the map management system for Garmin is still screwy and my Garmin's firmware was not write protected like a thought it should be... So; had a nice learning lesson with my device back in the day.

I was pretty upset with the Garmin Oregon 400 series and that Garmin rushed them to market without finishing their features. I will probably look at another brand going forward. One that I am excited about is the new:

DeLorme - Earthmate PN-60W GPS
http://www.delorme.com/
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-23-2010, 09:59 PM

Shawn,

I am going to get the Delorme with spot. I do lots of fishing with a 5 and 9 year old and think it would be a good thing.

My wife likes the idea of me having one when I head out alone.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 01-31-2011, 04:12 PM

If any of you who are looking at hand held GPS units have a smartphone; there are now GPS applications available. Use your phone instead of a hand held GPS; unless you require it to be waterproof. (without a case)

I have AlpineQuest on my Droid. I generate my maps for free using a program called Mobile Atlas Creator. Mobile Atlas Creator can use 60+ online map sources (Terraserver, Google, Microsoft, MyTopo, etc) to create the offline maps and store them on a Micro SDHC card in the phone. I was able to generate maps for GSMNP from multiple sources.

SPOT connect is now available for Android; getting you better functionality than the PN-60W for a whole lot less cheddar.

I have picked up a clear waterproof case for my phone; so it will stay protected and visible except during input. I also ordered a solar charger that will hopefully be able to charge it in the back country.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
If any of you who are looking at hand held GPS units have a smartphone; there are now GPS applications available. Use your phone instead of a hand held GPS; unless you require it to be waterproof. (without a case)

I have AlpineQuest on my Droid. I generate my maps for free using a program called Mobile Atlas Creator. Mobile Atlas Creator can use 60+ online map sources (Terraserver, Google, Microsoft, MyTopo, etc) to create the offline maps and store them on a Micro SDHC card in the phone. I was able to generate maps for GSMNP from multiple sources.

SPOT connect is now available for Android; getting you better functionality than the PN-60W for a whole lot less cheddar.

I have picked up a clear waterproof case for my phone; so it will stay protected and visible except during input. I also ordered a solar charger that will hopefully be able to charge it in the back country.

Good tip and information!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-01-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
Jeff, how do you like the SE 24K maps? Are they detailed? Does is show GSMNP backcountry campsites? I have the National Parks East 24K, but have asked for the SE 24K dvd for christmas.

I am also curious about the coverage detail of Pisgah NF, if you've used it over there.
Sorry about the late response.

Honestly, this is my first GPS where I could use the topo maps. My other one was for the car only (didn't have the topo map capability and was about 6 or so years old).

I have nothing to compare it to but the last time i was in the Smokeys, it worked fine, showed me where I was (looked like +/-20-30 feet) and had everything I needed.

I was wading Thunderhead Prong and it showed me about 3-4 feet on the shore given the width of the stream where I was, I'm guessig about 20 feet off.

Definately "close enough" that it would get me back where I came from, and get me to wherever I was going.

I marked several waypoints along the way (trees, rocks, turns in the trail, etc) and on the way back, I was able to locate each point marked quite easily.

So, having nothing to compare to, all I can say is it worked, got me there and back and seemed to be about as accurate as the one in my car.

Hope this helps.

Jeff