Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-05-2011, 10:09 AM

Talking "Banjo Stringin' ": In the key of trout!

Long time fishing writer for Sports Afield magazine, Jason Lucas, often called the father of modern black bass fishing, had some interesting tricks he used while fly fishing as well with other styles of fishing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/b...ag_May09_Lucas

In his book, "The Black Bass" he describes some very successful techniques which I have long since proven to myself for bass fishing and have adapted to trout fishing.

One such technique is called " banjo stringin' " the fish. While Lucas describes this technique as a way to fish from a boat, it also works for other modes of fishing conveyance, such as wading.

When a large fish (or smaller) makes a heads down run for the brush, deep water structure, weed beds, or other areas likely to foul the line, or when the fish heads straight at you or your boat in an attempt to do the same, you simply have only to put some bow in the rod with some pressure and pluck the line, "twang, twang, twang", to get the fish to stop dead in its tracks or change direction altogether. The vibration is transmitted to the fish via the line and momentarily "confuses" the fish.

I have on more than occasion used this "trick" on big browns in deeper water pools and runs and it works. Of course, this maneuver was invented for deep and "big" water, however, it will also work in most situations when there is a chance that the "big one" you hook, won't be "the big one that got away".

Whitefeather

Last edited by whitefeather; 02-05-2011 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: Added URL
Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 PM

Whitefeather,
You are right! This technique definitely works.

Lee
Old 02-06-2011, 12:09 AM

Looks like its our secret then! LOL!

Whitefeather
Old 02-06-2011, 08:17 PM

I heard about this when a kid, supposedly it can be used if the fish is also wrapped around a log. (??)
Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 PM

Whitefeather--A related trick which my father taught me involved a way to deal with a large brown trout when it sulked or got under a rock and refused to move. Take a pocket knife (or hemostat or something similar) from your pocket and tap it on the rod butt just above the handle. I'll virtually guarantee the fish will move, although the end result may not be what you want!

Speaking of Dad, we sang him home to the mountainous regions of Glory Land yesterday, then after lunch 20 of us--family members and friends--bushwhacked a mile up above Juneywhank Falls to the place where he spent his boyhood. There we filtered water from the old spring, filled our cups with cold, pure water--and drank a toast to his 101 earthly years. It was a good day and what those of us who loved him dearly considered a fitting farewell.
Jim Casada
Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 AM

Jim,

Thanks for sharing that trick with us. I'll try to remember that one also.

And thanks for sharing details of your farewell to your father also. I lost my father some years back, and still miss his wisdom and guidance. There's a profound amount of that being lost these days with seemingly fewer and fewer to carry on the wisdom.

I invite you to tell us more tales of your boyhood adventures with your father if you care to when ever you feel the need. I know I would be delighted as I love a good old fashion tale told by a good story teller, such as yourself.

Whitefeather