Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-13-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRN View Post
Maybe our Native American friends got educated on how Tennessee doubled out of state fees a few years ago.
Could be! I hope NC doesn't follow suit!

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 02-14-2011, 12:51 PM

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 09:25 AM..
Old 02-15-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Maybe our Native American friends got educated on how Tennessee doubled out of state fees a few years ago.
Not the best of situations. Remember that Tennessee hadn't raised fees for a number of years. Rather than raising it a bit each year or two, they had to do a quantum leap to keep up. My license and trout stamp plus migatory bird permit cost $48. That is cheap if I want a good supply of fresh fish. Price fish by the pound at the local grocery. Also, call some of the local golf courses and check on their greens fees. Some courses in Chattanooga are over $40 for 18 holes on Saturday. I think you will find that fishing is still a bargain.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:54 PM

John,

You are absolutely right no one want to pay anything but then they wonder why there's lack of maintenance, services, etc, etc. It goes for any revenue stream. It's a lot more cool to complain about taxes, and fees ad naseam but never come up with a solution to the problem. You can't have services if there's no revenue. Simple as that.

I do think, out of state is what's hurting people and it probably hurt Tennessee in the long run. People bring in a lot of revenue when they come here to fish. If it gets too expensive people go somewhere else or they stay home. But for in state, I agree, it's not that bad.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 PM

I either buy a NC non-resident license or a Tenn non-resident license, depending on the area I want to fish. I pay as much for a ten-day non-resident in Tenn as I do a full year in NC. Most of my fishing is in the park so I can do that with the NC license. So I generally get in a couple of two week trips a year on it. Haven't really done too much Tenn fishing except for the Tellico watershed, but I plan on doing the South Holston and Clinch on my next trips to Tennessee.

I have really only "scraped the surface" on fishing in the park so there's alot more water to cover.

Fishing Tenn waters is a trade off though for the increase in license fees, I save that amount on fuel not having to pull the travel trailer around (Waynesville) the mountain range to get to the NC side of the park. We like Smokemont Campground quite a bit, especially before May-October season begins! Hardly a soul around. We were there for a full week a couple of years ago before any one else showed up.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 02-17-2011, 10:42 PM

Whitefeather,
Agree with you hardily on liking Smokemont. Didn't use to think much of it until we discovered the wooded sites on the loop across Bradley Fork. Now we frequently stay there when we are on that side of the Smokies.

Lee