Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM

Default How is the South Holston fishing?

i feel a case of Fin Fever coming on for friday. I have never fished the SOHO and was wandering how it was fishing and a general direction on the nymph patterns as well as dries.

Thanks,

DBK
Old 02-16-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKSTONE2 View Post
i feel a case of Fin Fever coming on for friday. I have never fished the SOHO and was wandering how it was fishing and a general direction on the nymph patterns as well as dries.

Thanks,

DBK
Disclaimer: Please use this info from a uneducated fool. I have only fished the tailwaters of SOHO for the first time last week. Took a guide the first day. Did great by my newbe standards. Brought to hand about a dozen and missed many others. This is what I learned, put the fly in the feeding lane, if it is not, they will not go get it. A few inches up or down is important. Use Midges, although we did have a small hatch come off and I did catch two on drys, the midge is the offering. Drag, don't have any. Find a spot to optimize your drift. Went back the second day and tried everything. Caught one rainbow on a #8 olive woolybugger, go figure. PS: if missing takes on your midges, try adjusting (bending) the hook sideways on the midge, made a big difference to me.
Good luck
Old 02-21-2011, 06:55 PM

Angry

I made it out to the SOHO friday. I stopped at the local fly shop and picked up some intel. Considering this was my first time I spent a good portion of my time driving the roads along the river looking for access points and surveying the landscape. I figured February was as good a time as any to put in a little home work for the spring. I did stop and fish and tried to get the lay of the water. I managed to pull 1 fish off of a viral midge and had no takers the rest of the day.

Although the day was overcast and no hatch to speak of, I can tell the river is going to be very technical. Everyone told me that but I needed to see it for myself. Presentation has to be spot on and (for now) fish were not moving the slightest out of a lane to chase a bug.

I do like the challenges of a "new to me" river. Figuring out the stream currents, structures, and composition is the most frustrating and rewarding part of new water. I love it and hate it at the same time! I am looking forward to learning a new spot

By the way, don't you just hate it when you stop by the local fly shop and the proprietor say, "Man! You should have been here Tuesday! The fish were hittin' bare hooks!"? It never fails for me and I thing they should make a plaque to hang in there store with this on it.