Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 PM

Talking broke the skunk! WPLR 3/2

Fished west prong Via a trail hike just cause it was a pretty day to be in the woods, and why not take a rod along? fished about an hr, a few sporadic bugs on the water but nothing extravagant. fished a 16 dark EHC with a PT under it, went 3 for 3 on the PT, all small bows about 6-8''. went 1 for 3 on top (2 on the EHC, 1 on a 14 bivisible). missed the two caddis strikes, caught a 10'' bow on the bivisible as it drifted back and was within about 5 inches off my rod tip. kinda took me by surprise as I was watching a Red tailed hawk dive on some small critter so I wasn't paying attention... oops. water on the WP is much more manageable than on the other waters whose level was still pretty high and moving awful quick. had to pick your spots to wade, and cast from the bank a bit, but it paid off. It was much more heartening than my 4-5 hour skunk trip last week on the EP at roadside. Spring is coming boys, saw a few flowers blooming on the trail and at streamside

Mac29449@yahoo.com
Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 PM

Wow, I'm surprised you were as to fish today with the recent rains.
I was thinking about given it a try tomorrow afternoon.
Hopefully, the water will have slowed down a but by then.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
. fished a 16 dark EHC with a PT under it,
It started as a joke, but that is all I fished last year,and just wore them out, all year.

Thanks for the report.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 PM

Sounds like a nice outing, congrats. I'm heading over to Greenbrier tomorrow (though, if the waters still high, I'll hit Porter's) and I'm dying for a return of action. Last outing I caught 5x as many as I'd caught in the last 3 months. Which is to say, I caught 5.

I always tie at least 2-3 dropper rigs the day before I go and I just finished tying a dark EHC with a BHPT drop. Nice to know I shan't go home skunked tomorrow. Also tied a #14 Para. Adams with a #16 Prince drop and a #16 H&L with a #16 Tellico drop. Hopefully, they'll hit the dry first thing and I'll go straight dry all day. Hope in one hand...
Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 PM

Encountesr like your hawk encounter are common to all outdoor pursuits!

Want a fish to strike: watch a bird, look at a squirrel, look at the rocks ahead, scratch your nose, etc.

Want a duck to come in range: take a pee, open your snack cake, mess around in your blind bag....etc.

I swear game critters watch and know when you look away!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:25 AM

I also fished the wplr from laurel creek road all the way up to cs 18 on Saturday morning. It was very cold the night before but still did pretty good. I used a Green Weenie with a BHPT dropper. The biggest fish 8" I caught which I had for lunch took the Green Weenie. Seems in the Smokies the fly doesn't matter it seems they will take a terrestrial in January more vigorously than in July. Seems the trout up there are too hungry to care what bugs are in season lol.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 AM

This is great news, thanks for the report! I have permissions to head down from Cincinnati tomorrow night and backpack/fish Saturday. I was planning on spending Saturday night at site 18..

The high waters with more rain forecast had me considering scrapping the trip; but this report convinced me of taking the 10 hour round trip drive. I am so jealous of you locals.

My wife is being really great this year and allowed me to schedule two 4 day trips down there in April.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
This is great news, thanks for the report! I have permissions to head down from Cincinnati tomorrow night and backpack/fish Saturday. I was planning on spending Saturday night at site 18..

The high waters with more rain forecast had me considering scrapping the trip; but this report convinced me of taking the 10 hour round trip drive. I am so jealous of you locals.

My wife is being really great this year and allowed me to schedule two 4 day trips down there in April.
Matt double check the forecast before you come looks like this weekend is going to be a rough one. Of course you may like backpacking in the rain I have done it a time or two and always been glad I did afterward lol. Not so sure about the fishing though...

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Matt double check the forecast before you come looks like this weekend is going to be a rough one. Of course you may like backpacking in the rain I have done it a time or two and always been glad I did afterward lol. Not so sure about the fishing though...
I agree with Adam. You should save your gas money. I was supposed to meet up with Spotlight but it looks like monsoon conditions all day Saturday.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com