Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-02-2011, 10:44 PM

Default Hiwassee Regulations??

What's the word on the proposed DH regulations ? Haven't kept up with this through the hunting season. Has there been a decision made, and more importantly, what would be the dates ?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:58 PM

Apalachia Powerhouse downstream to L&N Railroad Bridge:
Removed quality trout fishing area regs and brown trout size limit, delayed harvest implemented October 1 through last day on Feb. Artificial lures only.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:54 AM

I guess that starts this coming October? It's not the fact that they are changing to DH that bothers me, as much as the dates they have proposed. If you are a flyfisherman, and you have fished this river for a while, you know that the best hatches of the year start in late March. April is your best, IMO. Now, after the river has been mostly cleaned out by the folks who want to keep fish, the fly fisherman will be seeing the hatches he has been waiting for, and how many fish will he see rise ? I'm sure that a few fish will be left. My point is that there was not a lot of thought from TWRA on these dates, as far as the fly fishing community goes. North Carolina DH dates go from October to the first Saturday in June. On the Hiwassee, water temps are a concern on up in the summer months. It would not hurt to push the dates for DH to the end of May. I want to know how others feel about this and maybe why the end of February was chosen as the ending of the DH period.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:57 PM

If you keep tabs on the TWRA website, www.tnwildlife.org, they will ask for input regarding regulations for the coming year. They also do this for hunting regulations.