Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-11-2011, 10:21 PM

I was under the assumption he is coming in on 275. Not 75. He is coming from n going s. No need to go through any pellissippi or w. knox for that matter. I told him that my recommendation is 275 to US 129 which is Alcoa hwy. I am not advocating any west knox or pellissippi.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:34 PM

my mistake Hans. I would take 640 east off of 75 south instead of getting on 275 south. I would bypass Knoxville all together. with the closure of henley street bridge, there is a lot more traffic on alcoa highway these days, but at 2am like you said , it is moot. I mainly would avoid driving the LR road with a travel trailer. so many people are busy looking at the river instead of the road in that section.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
so many people are busy looking at the river instead of the road in that section.
Thats so true...I've had so many people come around curves well into my lane over the years that its a wonder I haven't been in an accident there yet...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 PM

Troutman,

I am coming in off of 75 to a very short section of 275/640 (that's what they called it) to I-40/66, exit 407, (Winnfield Dunn Parkway) heading for Sevierville. That's my usual route but very early in the morning, before the traffic gets bad. I didn't know about spring break traffic or if spring break even extends into the the third week of April. Thanks for the info on the road construction, also!

I was going to go through Townsend first, but since I have to get water at Sugarlands, I might as well take my old route. I can drive to Townsend after I get setup at a campsite.

I didn't know about the stretch of Little River Road you described with the drop offs. Thanks! Don't need no cliff hangers!

Hans and others,

Sorry about the confusion. My fault! That short, dog leg, whirlygig, interchange off of 75S to I-40 east has always confused me as it is called "I-275/640" on the map directions. I call it mal-functon junction, because it always gives me pause.

Thanks for trying to steer me in the right direction, though. I'll have to go through Maryville some other time.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 03-12-2011, 12:41 AM

Its kind of hard to judge spring break traffic because it varies from week to week. Knox and Blount co school systems spring breaks are in march this year and sevier co schools are not till April 25-29. The other thing you may see is the end of the Pigeon Forge Grand Rod Run which is from April 14-17. There may be more traffic leaving town on monday the 18th, but shouldn't be too bad coming into town. Friday afternoons and Sunday afternoons are usually the worst for traffic. I believe the Walmart super center in Sevierville is open 24hrs if you go through town middle of the night and need groceries or supplies. I know they carry a large supply of RV stuff also.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:35 AM

Troutman,

Thanks for the additional information! I guess I'll just "wing it" as far the spring break traffic goes. My plans now are to come through in the "middle" of the week to avoid as much of it as possible, I think. Best laid plans of mice and men and all that.

Anyway, my tolerance for traffic, delays, and some sudden strange situation goes way up when I anticipate going trout fishing. And that's a good thing for me.

We try to stock up the trailer so we don't have to pull off for anything but fuel and rest stops, but it's good to know about the places in Sevierville just in case.

Thanks!

Anyone else who happens to be down on the LR or Elkmont during the third week of April, stop by and say howdy. I sure would like to meet some of you folks and maybe chat and fish a little.

I have a white Sprinter TT, with multicolored pin stripes on it and will have my and my wife's amateur radio call sign license plates (Indiana) on the front of the trailer. K9REH and KC9IPI. It will have a tall vertical antenna on the front of it also.

If I'm not there, I will down on LR fishing. I'll have a "Dirty Harry" .44 magnum on my hip for bears! Just kidding! Just kidding! At my age, that thing would take my arm off if I fired it.

Don't do much hiking these days because I can't get the wife to go with me. But I would happy to do some with others if possible. I miss a lot of the landscape in the park because I'm so focused on the water. I just can't get down there enough. I'm going to try to get a spot close to the river somewhere in Section A thru F that allows generator use.

Hope to see some of you down there!

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 03-13-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
my mistake Hans. I would take 640 east off of 75 south instead of getting on 275 south. I would bypass Knoxville all together. with the closure of henley street bridge, there is a lot more traffic on alcoa highway these days, but at 2am like you said , it is moot. I mainly would avoid driving the LR road with a travel trailer. so many people are busy looking at the river instead of the road in that section.
No problem, I was just making sure we steered him in the right direction.