Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Boats, Canoes and Kayaks

Old 02-22-2011, 09:11 PM

Default drift boat bottom project

I did not know what work went into this untill my brother stoped by to lend some advice. The bottom had been redown when I bought the boat 2 years ago. Well it seems that the glass was laid, whomever did it, did not prep the bottom enough and you can pill the stuff right up. As I stand right now 3/4 of the bottom has been pilled off. I have to grind the other off with a grinder. The plan is to finish getting the old bottom off and lay at least anoth couple of layers of glass on it. I also bought an epoxy called coat it to apply after the glass is laid. I will post pictures tomorrow of this project as it is now under way and there is no turning back! Wish me luck!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 PM

I would suggest getting it sprayed with Line X truck bed liner, after you finish your repairs. You'll never have to worry about it again..
Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Yup the boys from J-City's Project Healing Waters Chapter got a drift boat kit from national and they sprayed the bottom with that stuff good idea, the chapter of PHW that I run here in western nc is getting our boat in the next few weeks and we are gonna spray the bottom with that stuff.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 AM

I have a Rhino Linings shop.....I sprayed the bottom of my canoe and it's worked great (canoe was fiberglass). Let me know if I can help.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:55 PM

Rod's Drift boat Project. It was quite the undertaking, but it turned out really nice! I cannot wait to help him put the first scratch on her!

BEFORE

DURING

FINISHED

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 03-15-2011, 05:54 PM

It looks like you did a very nice job on your boat repair. I do have a question regarding the recommendations from some regarding sprying the bottom of a drift boat with bed liner protections such as the rhino liner. In some cases would that not hurt the performance. My thinking is the hull of a drift boat is slick and should I say aerodynamic. I think even water creates friction. Plus the design of many drift boats is to glide over rocks. Would this coating not create more friction and when passing over rocks tend to stick? I am not a boat designer or engineer but I would think this could actually hurt performance. Perhaps those who have expertise in this field could offer some input.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:27 PM

Indeed I had the same thoughts on having it sprayed with bed liner or even doing it myself. I read here and there and did some homework on this topic. Seems that the rubber would stick to rocks more and I found that most folks who had done the bed liner seemed to have that problem. So there for I went with this stuff called Coat-It. Its alot like a bed liner but is not textured. It actually has graphite in it to make it even more slick. This stuff seems to have worked nice in covering the imperfections of my work. Not to mention it has kevlar in it as well. I havn't had it on the water yet, so I have no clue on how it will hold up. I have read that alot of folks out west coat their boats with it and have read nothing but good things about it, but who knows how it'll hold up. i'm hoping for some fishable water soon.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:27 PM

One of the "liner" companies has a slick hard finish, i'm not sure which one it is. I'll have to flip the 'ol Clacka in several years & have thought about having it applied.
If they don't turn the generators off around here, i may never have to worry about flipping it

Grumpy
Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 AM

Rhino Lining has a product called Hardline. It has 50% less gripping properties, but many times more impact resistance. I would suggest getting Hardline applied to the bottom of any boat, and the normal Rhino (Tuff Grip) applied to any deck surface.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:07 AM

I think adding one of these products to the bottom of a fiberglass boat is a great idea to help protect the boat. I have not used the product Rod applied and I am curious to see how it holds up. It looks like a great product for bottom applications and adding the graphite/kevlar helps.

The big issue I have read about using these products is prepping the surface correctly for the material to adhere/bond. Also, the colored products tend to fade quickly in UV light. I like the stuff LineX puts out; but, I do not think they offer any warranties on non-bedliner applications...(?) Plus; their product is very expensive.$500-800 per application.
to choose, to respond, to change.”