Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-18-2011, 08:47 PM

Smile First Park Brookies of the year

Last Wednesday I finally had a chance to fish the Smokies since early last winter. I had tentatively made plans the week before to fish with Freddie, but after all the rain we had pretty much figured Id be paddling again. I left Freddie a voice mail saying all tail waters were flooded and with the Little over 3 feet the park waters would be too high to hit the Smokies, but when he called me back and said he had been in the Smokies on 2 different creeks and the fishing was on for the year. Since I had an early doctors appointment we met at the Waffle House at 10 AM and filled up on some greasy food to gear up for our park outing. We filled up, headed to LRO so Freddie could get a few flies. When I walked in the door I instantly recognized another fisherman who was in a World Religions class with me a few years ago. He and a friend were planning on fishing Abrams, but I think we talked them into just fishing some of the feeder streams. Freddie was kind enough to help them out with the best flies, and we were on our way.

We hit the trailhead and geared up. It was supposed to be bright and sunny that day, but it took until we were done fishing for the sun to break through. It was very cold compared to when I was paddling up there all weekend. The water at the trailhead looked boat able and made me wonder if we were getting in a little over our heads, but Freddie fishes 4 to 5 days per week, and I soon relied on his experience.

Here is a shot of the first crossing, as many of you will recognize the water is a bit high

After our walk in we soon made it to our destination and started fishing. My first Brookie of the year and my first Brookie caught high-sticking without an indicator which helped get the fly deeper in the high water.

Soon after I was lucky enough to get another good one.

While the water was too high to fish in many spots there was tons of small pocket water, and the bigger pools were still good to go as you can see here.

We continued upstream and continued to work any pockets we could find.

The Prince Nymph was doing alright in a double rig until Freddie found the magic fly of the day (Im guessing with the high water the only thing they could easily see) seen below. This was also the prettiest Brookie I caught this day.

While it was not a high number day with me catching less than a dozen, it was a great way to start off the Smokies season and was far from a skunk. Spring is here, and so is the fishing. Freddie had a much better day, but he is a much better fisherman, and I did spend an hour or so doing some work that I hope will be appreciated by my fellow fisherman for. All Ill say is no more Rhodo crawling. Hope to meet more of you on the water this year, and everyone be safe and have fun out there!

Gotta love actual fishing reports
Old 03-18-2011, 09:28 PM

duckypaddler,

Great report and pictures to boot! Happy you got out and had some real fishing fun.

And some nice brookies, well done!

If that water is high for the stream, I love it. Great for nymphing. I've always done better in a little higher water.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 03-18-2011, 10:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Dude your a trip....great report and nice fish.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 PM

Nice Brookies
Old 03-20-2011, 02:08 PM

Sweet fish man! Green with envy!
Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 PM

Those are some really nice Brookies, Excellent report and Pictures, Thanks.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:51 AM

Nice report! Enjoyed the pics and I'm glad you got out and had a good trip!!