Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 PM

Default Cooking trout

I know that most fly fishermen on this board don’t keep many trout as I am one of them as well. I do however keep a few especially the larger steak sized bows from Chilhowee Lake. Here is one method that I use to get rid of the “fishy” taste of trout. After I have killed the fish I open the belly up like normal and clean out the entrails. Then I cut a shallow “ring” around the head just behind the gills. I do this just deep enough to cut the skin. Next I cut the skin down the center of the back beginning at the previous cut all the way to the tail, going around the dorsal fin on both sides. Then I take my knife blade and turn it sideways for a better grip or I use a pair of pliers to peel the skin off the carcass. The pectoral fins come off with the skin but, the anal fin is easily cut off after the skin is removed. The head is the very last item to be removed because this makes for easier gripping. It is removed easily and shouldn’t need explaining. This leaves a very clean carcass that is ready to be placed in the grease.

If you like the skin left on your trout you can soak them in butter milk for 1 hour just prior to cooking.

I thought that I would share this with everyone just incase someone had previously been left with a bad taste for trout but, wanted to try them again.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:47 PM

FishNhunt,

Good suggestions! Thanks!

Here's another way, instead of buttermilk.

Soak them in vinegar for an hour!

Removes all the slime from the fishes skin and all the "wild" fishy taste from the meat.

I usually soak them in salt water overnight, too, but not necessary.

My last ''wild" trout meal (2 plump brookies) was the best trout I ever tasted. Can't wait to have some more!

I just gut them, clean them out (including the vein along the top of the rib cage), soak them, flour them, and cook them in vegetable oil with the head still on. The rib cage comes right out after the fish is cooked. Some small bones may still be present, so be careful when feeding them to children.

My wife says she doesn't like the fish staring at her when she is trying to eat it. I just tell her I want the fish to see how much I am enjoying its bounty.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 AM

Mmmmm, mmmmmm!!! You guys are whetting my appetite!