Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 04-01-2011, 04:16 PM

Default Jackson, Wyoming in September

I know it is 'down the road a'ways' and that weather is a big variable, but generally speaking what is fly fishing like in mid-September around Jackson?

I've been there but it was a bit earlier in the calendar (mid-August)

Thanks - -
Fishstu
Old 04-01-2011, 06:56 PM

In a word there is nothing like it... If you want big water then the Snake if smaller then the Gros Ventre. It is going to be an awesome water year. You can drive to the upper Green and nail um.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 AM

Mid September can be wonderful or not so great for fishing. I have been there in mid September and seen cold temps and a good bit of snow. The crowds will be gone by then though. The Aspens will be nice and yellow and the elk should be bugling. It is a beautiful time to be out there.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:27 PM

Default Thank you, for the replies

I fugre weather will be the big "if" in terms of fishing, but may not have much flexibility in timing of trip if I can make out to the Snake river, etc.

I'm 'guessing' that terrestrials will be the 'bugs of choice' at that time of year.

Again, thanks - -
Fishstu
Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 PM

Hoppers, PMD's may still be around. Rusty spinners. You must fish Flat Creek so they can spit in your eye.

Contact World Cast Outfitters which is the Orvis store. Or Jack Dennis both are great.

I have been there the last three years in Sept and the only problem was a little rain and lots of rain.

If you need grocery's Smith's on the south side of town is very good, great Sushi.

I have only fished the Snake once as it is mostly a floating river. The Hobart is a good river to wade fish.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:23 PM

I have been there twice. Both times at the end of August and early September. The first year was great. The second year was literally a washout. If you have the time and are driving out you have some flexibility. If the area rivers are blown out you can go elsewhere. There is a lot options. A half a days drive will take you quite a ways. You can go North East to Cody or North to Livingston or Bozeman. You also have the West side of YNP and West Yellowstone. The choices are almost limitless.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:50 AM

Default Thank you, for the

suggestions and 'tips'

may have follow-up as plans for trip begin to firm up

again, thanks

fishstu
Old 04-05-2011, 11:22 AM

I've never fished there in September, I'm usually in Montana then. Up there I use the "usual suspects": zebra midge, scuds, serendipity, hare's ear nymph, hoppers, ants, elk hair caddis, and woolly bugger.

This year I'll be on Utah's Provo and Green River in mid September.

In my experience out west, the more pressure the fish see the smaller the fly needs to be and the more perfect the presentation.