Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-03-2011, 08:06 PM

Default Clinch: Unusual Occurrence

I decided to take a shot at the Clinch today since they backed off on the generation at noon. Went on the downstream end of Millers Island, was surprised when there weren't many vehicles at my usual parking spot, but that quickly changed, as two vehicles pulled up after I started rigging up. Things started off quick, caught an 11" bow after about 10-15 minutes, then the fish got lockjaw on me Caught another 11" after a couple hours of no hits, strikes or errors!

I decided to move closer to the island after I saw the two guys who had been fishing that area for several hours started heading upstream. Took me about 15 minutes to get where I wanted, then I looked up and I guess they decided they didn't want to give up there run, but they were a little late on the draw. I wasn't trying to beat them, but they didn't seem all that happy to have someone else in their "spot" Was around 5:00 by then, the water would be rising soon and some nice fish were rising, but I had no luck. I happened to look to my right and on the bottom in about 1 1/2 feet of water was a 15" Bow lazily hanging out behind a small rock. I could see some heavy mono coming out of its mouth, every so often it would try to rise to the surface and shake its head slowly to rid itself of the foreign object. I decided to try to help the fish, got behind it with my net and eased it inside and lifted him/her to the surface. The line was hung up on a rock, split shot a couple feet up from it's mouth, so he was hooked deeper on a bait hook, I decided to leave the hook in instead of ripping it's gills out, cut the mono off at his mouth and set him free. Hopefully, the bow will live and I'll get a shot at catching him on a fly in the future

Neal
Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 PM

Nice job Neal. I'm sure he was grateful.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 04-03-2011, 08:56 PM

Most interesting and a very nice job indeed !
Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 PM

Neal,

A very noble rescue indeed! Hats off to you! Good job!

You did fly fisherman proud with your unselfish and thoughtful actions!

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 AM

Neal-

you did the right thing. Leaving the hook in will probably allow the fish to live. I read somewhere that, after time, the fish will reject the hook, and "spit " it out.

Bill
Old 04-04-2011, 02:47 PM

Good for you! The hook will rust and fall apart after a time. Thanks for sharing.
My son and I saw a dead fish on the Tellico that was hooked and caught like this one. What was interesting is that a snake was trying to carry off the fish. He did OK until he got to the end of the line.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 PM

Thumbs up Good job on this one Neal!

Awesome job Neal! I hate to see a beautiful animal suffer or anything suffer for that matter. Sounds like you cordially waited your turn and made your move respectably once the other crew indicated they were moving. Glad you gave a great effort to give that fish a fighting chance bro! Props to you!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-04-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Awesome job Neal! I hate to see a beautiful animal suffer or anything suffer for that matter. Sounds like you cordially waited your turn and made your move respectably once the other crew indicated they were moving. Glad you gave a great effort to give that fish a fighting chance bro! Props to you!
It was nice once I got the fish in the net and the pressure of the tight line was off and he started thrashing around. Got him back in the water quick after that and he seemed to move around pretty good after that, glad I noticed the fish when I did, I'm sure he would have died pretty quick if he wasn't able to get the line free. Only mistake I made was not having a camera and taking a pic and posting it for fish pic of the month

Neal
Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 PM

Sounds like it was a very special moment for both of you; thanks for sharing the story