Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-07-2011, 12:07 AM

Most kids are too small to wade and lack the dexterity to fly fish in a mountain stream until they are 8 or 9. If you can start them fly fishing in a pond with a shorter rod, it will make things much easier when you add moving water and line management. Make it fun, most kids that age have a short attention span. Take plenty of snacks, and maybe one of their friends if you can.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:42 AM

My son made his first cast into a Smoky's stream when he was two...no fishing, just casting with one of those Wally World spinning outfits...we started camping when he was five and I made him a 4' flyrod from an old 9' fiberglass rod I had kept around...he dabled with fly fishing but liked to catch fish so he was really proficient at using ultra light spinning gear and just watching me fly fish....guess he was 10 or 11 when we went on backcountry trip and the first afternoon he dropped all his spinning lures into the river and off they went...told him this presented a great time for him to come over from the dark side...the next morning the proverbial light bulb went off and he's never been the same since...he has progressed to where he knows it all now and has even outfished me on an occasion or two...he still loves the ultra light aspect and has claimed my little Orvis two weight as his own...he leaves for college this fall and has actually saved one week of this "last" summer to backpack back to that same stream where it all began for us....time flies so just let them fish how they want as long as you get to spend some time with them....enjoy the experience.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:37 PM

I have a 10 year old and a 9 year old and a 4 yr old. The two older have been messing around with a flyrod for about 3 years, going into 4. They started on the pond in my back yard. Similar to what was posted earlier, the bluegill and red ear are eager particpants for a dry fly. Last year I let them solo in the Smokies and they both caught a fish on their own. I actually think that the fly rod keeps them more interested. Always something to do vs watching a bobber and I think that is an advantage to keeping their attention. I would say 6 to 7 if they are well coordinated and willing to listen. Probably varies with each kid.