Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 04-22-2011, 04:41 PM

Default Muskie on the fly?

Anyone done it? I am probably going to fish both Green River Lake and Cave Run Lake in May for Muskie. I have caught them on both lakes before but want to give them a try on the fly rod. Will my 8 weight be enough? Also, what flies can anyone suggest? I am thinking Large Half and half's, some rabbit streamers etc.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:44 PM

You will need a nice bite tippet and a fly with a long-zonker tail. I think they will need mutiple hooks. I have heard you present with a zig-zag z-pattern and that you have to change colors often to continue to attract them.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-22-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
You will need a nice bite tippet and a fly with a long-zonker tail. I think they will need mutiple hooks. I have heard you present with a zig-zag z-pattern and that you have to change colors often to continue to attract them.

Thanks for the info Shawn. Sounds like I am going to have to come up with some different flies. I have never fished a mulit hook fly, are the harder to cast?
Old 04-23-2011, 12:22 AM

There are several good books and videos available I haven't chased musky yet but plan to this summer and hope to head to Michigan to chase northern pike in the next month or so. I have a book called musky on the fly by Robert Tomes I Highly recommend. If you have netflix there is at least one pike on the fly video available that was good but I dont remember the name of it.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 AM

Traditionally, musky lures are thrown on heavy wire leaders with multiple treble hooks. For the last ten years or so, I've been fishing single hook flies for musky on mason hard mono and have a very good hook ratio and as of yet, haven't lost a fish from tooth abrasion. You do have to check the mason every couple of fish just to make sure you don't have any bad nicks but if you have caught a couple of fish on the same fly and need to check the mason, consider it a great day.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:36 AM

Here is a good leader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=466P-Uyorm0