Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Boats, Canoes and Kayaks

Old 04-25-2011, 02:23 PM

Default Trolling motor

Looking for a trolling motor for my 15' canoe. I'd like to get one that could push me upstream on one generator on the Clinch. Would a 30 do, or should I go bigger? I usually have 2 adults on board (total). Thanks!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:50 AM

buy the largest you can get you don't have to use it all. better to have more and not need it than to not have it and need it.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:51 AM

Remember, you will have to register it with TWRA now that it has a motor. I have a canoe but don't have a motor as I'm too cheap to pay for registration.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydoc View Post
Looking for a trolling motor for my 15' canoe. I'd like to get one that could push me upstream on one generator on the Clinch. Would a 30 do, or should I go bigger? I usually have 2 adults on board (total). Thanks!
You will need a 50+ # thrust to navigate upwards on the Clinch on one generator. The issue will come when you start looking at 24v trolling motors; then you will need two-batteries.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. Got the boat registered. As some of you may recall, I posted a while back about a little gas motor my brother gave me. I've got it up and running, but still not sure how much confidence I have in it. I definitely wouldn't trust it to push me back upstream to my car, I only use it to motor back up through good runs. I'm going to check out trolling motors as well.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydoc View Post
Thanks for the replies. Got the boat registered. As some of you may recall, I posted a while back about a little gas motor my brother gave me. I've got it up and running, but still not sure how much confidence I have in it. I definitely wouldn't trust it to push me back upstream to my car, I only use it to motor back up through good runs. I'm going to check out trolling motors as well.
Be sure and go upstream on your first few test trips. I made the mistake of going downstream with a sketchy motor once. I was thankful someone was able to come rescue me at close to midnight in February.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:00 PM

I'm kind of in the same boat (no pun intended). I have an old canoe that I bought from someone, off of craigslist. That was several years ago. Just a few weeks ago I picked up a trolling motor. I need to get the boat registered, but in Knox County they require a notarized bill of sale. Turns out I can't register it at all.

The county clerk said that I might try surrounding counties, that they might not care about bills of sale. Anyone know if that's the case?

--Matt
Old 05-05-2011, 10:33 AM

You might be able to register it as a first time registered boat? Take the numbers and information to the clerk and see if they can run it through that way.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:38 PM

I did a bill of sale in knox county without a hull number, guess I got lucky.

If it doesn't have a hull number TWRA can assign one to it. Going through that now with my boat because they wouldn't issue a registration without a hull number. There is a form they send you to fill out and supposedly an agent comes to "inspect" the boat. That hasn't happened yet.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:31 PM

I built a kayak a few years ago, and I have the canoe. I was asking about the canoe and the lady I spoke with told me it couldn't be registered. I asked about the kayak since there's no sale there (unless you count the wood and fiberglass) and she said I'd have to apply for a hull number from TWRA.

I dunno I'm gonna see if my dad can get it registered in Carter County.