Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 PM

Default NY (Adirondacks) Suggestions???

I'm planning on doing a little camping/hiking/fishing with a buddy in a few weeks and we're thinking about heading towards the Adirondacks. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about spots where we could go that would have a moderate hike in and back country camping near a stream where we could fish. Any streams or rivers that I should concentrate my search on?

My buddy doesn't fly fish but he's interested in trying it out, and we're also not dead-set on the Adirondacks, so if there are other suggestions, feel free to share!

Thanks
Old 05-04-2011, 08:44 AM

Fly Nut

Do you have a general idea of where in the Adiriondacks are you going? It is a huge area (almost 3 million acres) so one area can be hours from another just by car.

The most popular, famous, will be West Branch of the Ausable River between Wilmington and Lake Placid. There is a nice state run campground at Wilmington. That could be a base camp. All the hiking and sight seeing you can handle nearby. Though he is not alive, Fran Betters shop is supposedly still running with his daughter as the operator along Rt 86 in Wilmington. There is atleast one other shop along there that I recall that can point you in the right direction. There are plenty of smaller streams and ponds throughout the area and they most all hold fish.

But saying that, that is not the only place to go. The ADK's is a huge region and there is alot of quality water with no crowds. Places like Indian River, Blue Mountain Lake, Long Lake, Keene Valley, North Creek, Saranac.... are all worthy. If you drift out of the ADKS to the east along the Vermont border the Battenkill is also an option. Quite frankly you can drive down the road, and if you see something that looks good, probably is. I did that on a small pond on the way through Keene Valley a few years ago and just for kicks had my kids throw out a line. One caught an 18" rainbow and another cought a 8 inch brookie.

In my opinion, the ADK's is one of the prettiest areas out there. Well worth the trip.

Last edited by Hoosier; 05-04-2011 at 12:48 PM..
Old 05-04-2011, 09:10 AM

Make contact with the Adirondack Hiking Club they have an extensive information base. Also check to see if the ice is out. I just read that some of the lakes are still frozen and water is running very high.
You might look at the Catskill's still great fishin and hiking aplenty.

There is one thing that you really need to take into consideration and that is BLACK FLIES. If you have never experienced them they can ruin your trip. They bite like one thing itch, get into your mouth and nose. Been there done that. The only relief for us was to climb an old fire tower to get above the trees. We did have to come back down.

Last edited by narcodog; 05-04-2011 at 09:36 AM..
Old 05-04-2011, 12:51 PM

Narcdog, I haven't spent any time in the Catskills, have you ever fished the Neversink (east West Branch) at the Frost Valley Y?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:34 PM

I have fished the East and west branch of the Delaware, Willowemoc and Beaverkill at several places. I have not been to the Neversink Gorge but I have been told it is great fishin. The Esopus is on my list for this year. I have also fished a few Brookie streams along with Fir Brook. Last year the water was low and warm, so far they have had to much water. Go here for updates http://www.detteflies.com
Old 05-06-2011, 04:32 AM

I'd like to underscore the warning about Black Flies!!. If they are present when you are there, get a "bug suit"!

Last edited by Kytroutbum; 05-07-2011 at 09:41 AM..
Old 05-08-2011, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the info guys, but I think my buddy and I are leaning towards the Poconos in PA now...it'll be a little less driving and there should be plenty of trout to catch!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:20 AM

On your way jump off I81 and fish some around Carlisle, PA. The Yellow Breeshes, Big Spring or LeTort then head to the Pocono's. Stop in at the Yellow Breeches Fly Shop in Boiling Springs. Eat at the Allenberry Inn.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:39 PM

I actually grew up in Carlisle! I didn't get into fly fishing until I moved to Nashville 6 years ago, but I've fished the Breeches more than a few times since when I go home to visit...and it's a great stream! Haven't yet fished the Letort, but I plan on it. The Susquehanna is another great river that has lots of smallmouth, which I used to catch with poppers and crankbaits...can't wait to fish the famous white fly hatch there!

I actually just moved to the Baltimore area and am now not only closer to that great PA fishing, but I am currently discovering the beauty of the Gunpowder River, which is only 30 minutes from the city and has a great population of wild browns. And there's even a stream that flows along the highway going into the city that I've pulled a couple of wild browns from...5 minutes from my house...it's pretty sweet!

I'm definitely looking forward to finding some brookies in some of the PA streams on this trip...and I will make it back to the Adirondacks some day...