Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-11-2009, 10:49 AM

Question Hairy Prince Nymph

I was browsing through different fly recipe website to see if anything caught my eye, and I stumbled upon a hairy prince nymph made with a hare's dubbing body instead of peacock herl. I tied a few up in natural hare, black, brown, and olive. I like the look of the flies a lot, but I have not had the chance to throw them at fish yet. Does anyone have any experience fishing this fly,, and , if so, did it work as well as I hope it will? Also, I basically just tie nymph for now (going to try dries closer to spring). I am ok at princes, pheasant tail, hare's ear, tellico, hotwire princes, and a couple stoneflies. That is basically all I fish with because I have had some luck with them, but I want to find another nymph to learn to tie. Any suggestions on a good nymph? I hope everyone is staying warm today.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:55 AM

You may want to try some Caddis. Gary Lafontaine's patterns using an antron overbody is a great pattern, as is his caddis emerger. You should be able to find them online. The antron overbody is somewhat of a pain to tie, but it is very effective. Silvercreek
Old 12-11-2009, 12:25 PM

Default Good morning TJW

You have mentioned tying some different patterns as a progression to your flytying skills and I thought that I would mentioned a few that are very common to the Park and surrounding streams and that will give you some tying experience while practicing on nymphs.
The Isonychia Nymph is very common on most streams that have some silt. Trout love them and the season for them is very long,
The Copperjohn can imitate a lot of insects and is popular in the Park.
The many versions of the Czech Nymph can fill in as a nymph for streams that have lots of Caddis. Let us know how you do with your attempts and good luck.
Hugh
Old 12-11-2009, 01:33 PM

Thank you Hugh. I didn't mention it, but your Smoky Mountain Blackbird is another on my list to try to tie as well as some yellarhammer imitations. After looking at your website I kow where to get the starling feathers died yellow.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:53 PM

I love the hairy prince I haven't used it in the last few years like I used to but it used to be my go to fly. It brought me my best bow ever on one of the Tenn. tailwaters and my best even mtn stream brown. I tied them from 14-20 really a great fly. Thanks for bring this back up. I may need some of them again. I hate it when I give up on something that used to work so good. Also the thoughts of a black bunny dubbed body really sparks my mind to work.

STU
Old 05-22-2011, 02:06 PM

If you try to google this fly, be prepared for some stuff you probably weren't looking for.

steve
Old 05-22-2011, 10:02 PM

The George nymph is a very good mtn trout pattern that is easy to tie. I always liked to fish a big rubber legged tellico stonefly also, usually in a size 6. similiar to the blackburn tellico with the addition of small brown rubber legs and lots of weight to get it down.
When you start tying dries, get Chad to teach you his foam yellow sallies, and his stimulators.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:11 AM

I just want Chad to give me 5 minutes with alone with an empty duffel bag in his tying room. I would never have to order anything again. I have watched him tie stimulators before…I would put him against anyone I've seen for speed and quality. I am trying to get him to tie in our Troutfest booth next year.