Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-28-2011, 06:54 PM

Default Tailwater rod/reel setups

Thought it would be neat to see what kind of rod and reel setups you guys are fishing on the tailwaters. My setup is a 8'6" 5 wt TFO Professional Series paired with an Orvis Access II reel. Just got the new reel recently and I'm really liking it.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:09 PM

i use a 8ft 9 temple fork med action 5wt spooled with an intermediate sinking line 1.5 -2 inches per sec. my reel is just one i bought at gander mountain on sale for $59 not even sure of its name without digging out the box but it has a drag and works great for me...i carry my 5wt floating line in my vest... but fish mostly a fly that i use which doubles as a soft hackle and a streamer... which suits the line great and catches fish .... i have caught trout blugill catfish bass and crappie on the fly ...
Old 05-28-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreedi1 View Post
Thought it would be neat to see what kind of rod and reel setups you guys are fishing on the tailwaters. My setup is a 8'6" 5 wt TFO Professional Series paired with an Orvis Access II reel. Just got the new reel recently and I'm really liking it.
My primary tailwater rig is a 8'6" 5-wt mid flex Orvis Zero Gravity with a Orvis MidArbor reel. Heavy enough to chunk light streamers, nymph rigs, or even larger dries.

My backup rig, or when fishing to spooky fish with tiny dries, is a 9' 4-wt Winston Ascent with an Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock reel.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-28-2011, 09:59 PM

9' 4 wt Sage SP
9' 4wt Sage Z-axis

Are the only rods I fish on tailwaters

Reels I either use an Abel #0 or a Sage 2540. Abel on the SP and the 2540 on the Z-Axis.

Both rods are great, the sp is a little softer then the Z, but still is a fine rod. There is not a finer rod on the market then the Z-axis IMO. On the reels, it is a personal preference thing IMO. I personally think the two I fish are as good as money can buy. However, others may like something else.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:00 PM

My go to rig is a Sage XP 9 foot 5 weight with a Abel Super 4 reel. My wife likes a 9 foot 5 weight Orvis Hellios with a Orvis reel.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:20 AM

8'6" 6 wt for launching long casts... It throws unweighted streamers decently as well...I usually run a 9' leader with 2-3' of tippet at the start for my dry fly fishing. This all changes depending on what I am fishing and on different parts of the river.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-29-2011, 11:28 AM

7' 6" 3 wt. Legend Ultra, 9' 4 wt. Legend Ultra, or 9' 5 wt. Legend Ultra...I'm partial to the St. Croix LU in case it wasn't clear already although that's largely because I can't afford a Helios...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-29-2011, 12:58 PM

9' 7wt with floating or Class II sinking line (streamers and mice!)
9' 5wt for throwing big nymph rigs
9' 4wt for midge rigs/dry, droppers/ dries (favorite and most used rod)

www.flyfishtennessee.com
www.facebook.com/flyfishtennessee
Old 05-29-2011, 09:08 PM

I used a Orvis Rocky Mtn 9ft 4wt that is a full flex. The thing will bend into the cork! You talking about able to protect light tippet that rod will. But on the windy days or when I know there is not much of chance of dry fly flinging and I will be chucking heavy nymphs I use a 9ft 5wt Rainshadow that I built a few years ago. That can be a hard river to pick a rod for so much different water and ways to fish.
STU
Old 05-30-2011, 02:28 PM

Waterwolf,

I am curious as to why you fish only 4 weights on tailwaters, especially the Clinch since that seems to be your main destination. I have used 4 and 5 weights, but mainly 5 weights on the Clinch, SOHO and Holston.

Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
9' 4 wt Sage SP
9' 4wt Sage Z-axis

Are the only rods I fish on tailwaters

Reels I either use an Abel #0 or a Sage 2540. Abel on the SP and the 2540 on the Z-Axis.

Both rods are great, the sp is a little softer then the Z, but still is a fine rod. There is not a finer rod on the market then the Z-axis IMO. On the reels, it is a personal preference thing IMO. I personally think the two I fish are as good as money can buy. However, others may like something else.