Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-31-2011, 10:37 AM

Default Cosby Area, Memorial Weekend

Just a couple quick photo's of our Memorial Day weekend with family and friends. We stayed at the Jellystone Campground off 321 close to Cosby.

We had a really nice campsite as you can see and our camper was a little bigger than my backcountry hammock. At least the Camper had AC.

I had a chance to spend about an hour upstream of our campsite on Indian Camp Creek. The water was really clear and looked low to me. After a short hike upstream i was not able to find any good sized pools so i decided to go back to camp. I have heard that Indian Camp Creek downstream can be really good but i only had a park fishing lic so it was a short trip on Indian Camp Creek.

My wife Jami and her "girlfriend" Paula decided Sunday morning they would visit the park trails above our campsite and hike the Albright Loop Trail. This would give me an opportunity to take the morning away from camp and visit Cosby Creek just a few miles down the road.

Jami and Paula left camp early in hopes of being back to camp for lunch. The 7 mile round trip ended up being an 11.5 mile day once they realized they had passed the "loop Trail" and ended up on the AT. They missed lunch but just made it in time for dinner and right before we thought about calling the local Rangers.

Cosby Creek is a wonderful little creek just perfect for one person to fish a couple hours above the Cosby Creek Campground.

The area was just high enough in altitude to have plenty of wonderfully colored Brook trout.

I kept fishing upstream all the way until the stream started to really get to small for me. I also had a chance to fish a couple hours a mile or two downstream from the Cosby Creek Campground and never even saw another fisherman the entire time i fished.

I will end with one final update/observation. We had an opportunity to drive to Big Creek and the Big Creek Campground. The very little time that i had spent there did leave the impression that this could be a promising future adventure. I will defiantly be adding Big Creek to my bucket list. From Cosby Creek to Big Creek we took road 32 to the NC side that turned into a gravel road. Like Jim Cascada stated in his book dont take this route unless you really like windy roads. We took I40 back to camp, much better.

One last picture of one of the locals from this area.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Memorial Day Weekend as much as we did.

Thanks

Last edited by Mac; 05-31-2011 at 11:33 AM..
Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the report and photos. My first Smoky Mountain trout came from the creek right there in the camp ground. We had a tent site that backed up right to the stream so I would hit it every morning. I didn't know the name of the stream at the time.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:24 PM

Nice report, Mac. Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:51 PM

Those brookies are colored up real nice! Looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:17 PM

Great report. I like those nice, long, calm pools in a stream. Lots of brookies hanging around the tail end and throughout the pool. Thanks for posting.