Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Bran, come by the Pharmacy and see me if you get the chance while your in town. I've got a new style popper for you to try. I tied them at troutfest this year, called a roadkill popper.

Milligan, I would say it was just an off day as well. Could have been barometer changes or just bright sun on Saturday. I usually fish very early or late evening on that river. the mid day sun usually turns them off, so you have to find shady areas or deeper holes. since the golf course took over the island , they cut down a lot of the shade trees along the banks that provided overhead cover and protection. I've had perfect weather days on the river and caught very few fish and other days with overcast or stormy weather and caught trophies.
Yeah, if you'll remember, the first three days of last week were pretty cool. Especially at night. The water temp on the report dropped below sixty for a a day or two. Granted we were considerably downstream of that gauge and on another watershed entirely, but it still gives an idea that water temps had changed rather suddenly. It was also very sunny the day we were out. I usually don't do much good below that golf hole island anyway, but we did manage a few fish below that. Only one smallie though.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 AM

Lynn, will do, Gary taught me that the first time I fished it.

Gary, I'll stop by and see you. Do you have an evening you'd like to meet up that week? I'll be out Sat. 11th and leave Fri. 17th headed back home.
I'm open for suggestions but if you have time I thought maybe we could hit the Smallies one evening or go up to Elkmont and try for a Brown if there's time.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 AM

Bran, good deal and if you ever listen to anyone listen yo Gary. He's a good guy and will shoot you straight.
Lynn
Old 05-31-2011, 12:53 PM

Bran, I will be off most of that week of June 11th and camping down at Indian boundary the weekend through wed.the 15th. I'm hoping for some cicada action on the lake! I will be back to work on the 16th so I may be able to fish that evening before you leave if you want. You know where to go if we can't meet up this time around. I'll give you a heads up on the conditions via PM on CFF the week prior. topwater has been good but the low water levels are requiring longer leaders , smaller sized poppers and stealthy wading so as not to spook.
I took my daughter out in the boat this weekend on the FB and a little ways up the LP. It was very hot mid day and the bass were not interested but we did find a lot of shad rising to caddis on the surface below a shoal on the FB and had a good time fishing for them with some grey elk hair caddis dry flies. Lots of 14-16" hickory shad rising just like trout. we fished until the generation hit us about 12:30pm before heading home. Shad are considered trash fish but they sure are fun to catch when they are rising like that.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:21 PM

I had no idea you had a land locked Hickory Shad population there, now that's pretty interesting! There are lots of Fly Fishers along the Eastern parts of VA and NC that look forward to the Hickory and American shad runs each year on the Roanoke, Rappahanock, and Potomac just to name a few. I've never caught one and have wanted to.
I'll look for your PM, or either I think you've got my email still. Hope you have a good trip to Indian boundary!!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:35 PM

I messed up! It is not hickory shad, Its Skipjack.
they look like baby tarpon.

http://www.tnfish.org/PhotoGalleryFi...rNegus_jpg.htm