Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 PM

Default Rod Length

I've got a question on rod length. I'm thinking of getting one of the TFO BVK rods since casting one at Troutfest, but I have a question.

I fish a lot in the smokies, and I like a 4wt rod. I also like a longer rod so I'd like to have a 9' rod, but the 4wt in that series is currently offered only in 8'6". Apparently they're testing longer lengths but it might be a while before they're announced and even longer til they're released.

So... Is that last 6" of rod length worth waiting for?

As I said before this rod will be used in the smokies a lot, in the clinch and in local ponds occasionally.

--Matt
Old 05-31-2011, 01:55 PM

I looked at one of those BVK rods the other day at bass pro myself and was impressed with it. Do you care to share your thoughts on it after casting it? Wouldn't mind picking up a 9' 5wt in it.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:04 PM

I casted a 4wt. It seemed very light and was moderately fast. Not super "stiff" but had a nice feel. I really liked it. Seemed really easy for me to cast nice tight loops. I wasn't casting super far (but then again, I don't often cast far when fishing either).

My brother in law just bought a 5wt and to me it felt a little stiffer/faster. Like it needed a heavier line. I do not know which line TFO had on their test reels, could've been a GPX or half-heavy line.

Overall I really liked the rod. I'm wanting one. As my original post eluded, I had emailed TFO about a 9' and apparently they're working on 9'6" and 10' length BVKs (no idea whether they'll make it to market, what weights, etc).

My only concern was whether to wait.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:51 PM

Maybe I can help a little. I have five TFO's in the stable. An 8'6" pro 5 weight, 8'6" pro 4 weight, 7'6" pro 3 weight, 7'3" finesse 2 weight, and a new BVK 8 foot 3 weight. As for the smoky's in general, the 2 weight finesse is my go to rod. I tested the BVK this weekend in the park on deep creek, the ocono, and on bradley fork. This 3 weight to me is a real "shooter." The more line I put out, the better it performed. I could put out much more line than I realistically needed. Real tight loops!!!! Keep in mind, that I tend to cast at 45 to 80 degrees to the side when fishing, never straight ahead. So I don't really need to max out this rod on park streams. Roll casting, or casting in general was effortless. I can't wait to take this rod to the gibbon meadows this fall!!! With all that being said, I personally would not be concerned about the extra length. You will not be dissapointed with the current lengths in the park streams. Be advised that this is just my humble opinion. I really like the action of the finesse series. Its what I do, so am I am biased in my opinion. To each his own. One other thought. Some folks like to "high stick while nymph fishing in order to keep the fly line out of the water, to have better control, etc. This is where those longer lengths in the BVK series will come into play, according to a pro guide that I know, but something that I do not do. I hope this long winded post will help.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:24 PM

Thanks! I also have a Finesse in 8'9", 5wt and I like it, but it's much slower than the BVK I test-casted.

I do like to "dabble" a dry and high-stick a nymph occasionally, but that last 6" probably isn't a big deal.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:34 PM

Oh yes, the finesse series is definitely alot slower. Not even in the same league. Try the lesser weights in the park. I finally convinced my son to drop from the "manly" five weight to a puny three weight. So far, so good. There again, just my humble opinion.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:03 PM

I say no less than a 8'6" length. My favorite park rod is a 8'6" 3 wt. But if water is high a 9' five wt comes out. Unless I am fishing boo then it is 8 ft.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:02 AM

Mundele

The 5 weight & bigger rods need a lil heavier line on them, i've cast them with a heavier line, whether it be a specialty line with a heavier front taper or just plain going up a line weight.
I talked to Rick Pope & Jeff Jackson both & told them us tailwater guys needed a 9' 4 weight, maybe a 10'r,we'll have to wait & see what happens.

Grumpy