Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-30-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH0802 View Post
Speed,
The most important thing is that there is good tides, and you definately picked a good time to come. Starting on Friday, the tides are good till at least Teusday the 14th, and if you have a flat that floods early you may even be able to fish Wed the 15th (tide will be just a little late, i.e. dark).

I know that there are plenty of good wading spots in the Charleston area....I just don't know any of them. I have not had a chance to fish up there at all. I fish around Beaufort, and a little aroun Hilton Head. You may want to check on this board for some Charleston Information:

http://www.charlestonfishing.com/forum/default.asp

Click on the tab for fly fishing. You may have to join to get participate and ask questions, and I highly recommend you do.

Mad Mike and Nikonjedi would where I would start to get some information...people can be a little touchy about sharing info. I would introduce yourself, let them know that you are coming, and then go see them (I think that they both work at fly shops in Charleston). They would be more likely to help you with some information in person.

If you are coming to the Beaufort area I will give you some places to try out. Let me know your e-mail address and who referred you to me if you do not mind.

John
John, I can't figure out how to PM on this board, so I will post the info here. My email is rdalew@yahoo.com and Randy Ratliff referred me to you. He is a local guide here and has help me tremendously in learning to row my drift boat on the South Holston & Watauga Rivers here in East Tennessee. He's also a member on this board.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:02 PM

Tell Randy that I said hello. I sent you an e-mail.

John
Old 06-01-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Tell Randy that I said hello. I sent you an e-mail.

John

Will do, thanks for the advise.
Dale
Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Dale,
Did you get the google earth picture I sent you with the area to park and the area to walk in to the flat?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Dale,
Did you get the google earth picture I sent you with the area to park and the area to walk in to the flat?

John, I did, but I've been in Bible School this week and trying to get ready to leave, so I haven't had a chance to thank you or look into the location in depth. I plan to try tonight. I appreciate the help and I've talked to the guys at the Charlesto Angler and I'm going to stop and see them. I promise to keep the locatin to myself and I always practice catch and release, so I plan to leave the area better than I found it. I don't know if I will have internet access while I'm there, but if I do I may send you a message or two. Thanks again...
Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 PM

John, First of all, thanks for all the info........this is a great thread. I fish the Morehead City area of N.C. at least three times a year. There are alot of grass flats to fish for reds, along with inlets for blues, spanish, etc. What kind of footwear do you recommend for wading? There are alot of rays, oyster beds, etc. in the water. Is it ok to just shuffle my feet along? I would hate to ruin a vacation with a trip to the hospital. thanks......
Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 AM

I use bass pro flats booties. They protect the feet from oyster shells and such, and are inexpensive. You can also use your regular wading shoes, but the salt water is rough on them. Make sure you are familiar with what constitutes a hard bottom and whan doesn't.....nothing link sinking up to your crotch in puff mudd with the tide coming in to get your heartrate up.