Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-10-2011, 08:44 AM

Default Clinch and SoHo

Where are all the fish on the Clinch?

I have been on the Clinch three times this year and have caught only 8-9 fish. Don't get me wrong, most catches are real nice fish, Rainbows around 16" with beautiful coloration, which is a nice fish to me, but after a four or five hour effort each trip, it is slow compared to the last couple of years. Ms. Annie and I kayaked from the jail upstream about a mile last outing mostly paddling and a little fishing and I noticed I wasn't seeing many fish. We went to the SoHo yesterday at the Weaver Pike bridge and in an hour landed a dozen after I figured out what they were hitting (#20 tan midge, very few sulfurs flying), two nice Rainbows with a good mix of Browns. We walked upstream about 75 yards and fish were fleeing away at every step, they were everywhere! I marveled that it was so different from the Clinch.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old east tn boy View Post

I have been on the Clinch three times this year and have caught only 8-9 fish. Don't get me wrong, most catches are real nice fish, Rainbows around 16" with beautiful coloration, which is a nice fish to me, but after a four or five hour effort each trip, it is slow compared to the last couple of years. Ms. Annie and I kayaked from the jail upstream about a mile last outing mostly paddling and a little fishing and I noticed I wasn't seeing many fish. We went to the SoHo yesterday at the Weaver Pike bridge and in an hour landed a dozen after I figured out what they were hitting (#20 tan midge, very few sulfurs flying), two nice Rainbows with a good mix of Browns. We walked upstream about 75 yards and fish were fleeing away at every step, they were everywhere! I marveled that it was so different from the Clinch.
I am no Clinch expert, have had a few slow days, but there are plenty of fish. I did pretty well on Monday and the two weeks before that. The sulfur action may be waning, but most of my action on Monday was on sulfur imitations, that's what the were feeding on where I was fishing, subsurface that is.

Neal
Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old east tn boy View Post

Sorry for your bad luck. I don't know what to tell you other than they are in there. I haven't seen as many trout taking duns this year as in the past, but the subsurface activity has been really good. I have been using 12' 5X leaders with 3' of 6X fluoro tippet to enhance my strike rate significantly. Also, depends on what flies you are using, where you are fishing, and your technique.

The SoHo is a jewel, and I don't really think one can compare the two. In my opinion the SoHo basically polices itself in that 90% of the people who fish it are stern C&R fishermen. Whereas I have had to call the poacher hotline more than once on the Clinch. Those wild browns up there will actively take dries and emergers all afternoon, but I find the Clinch trout to be much more finicky when it comes to dries.

I am sure others with more experience will also respond to your post. In addition, I would recommend looking at previous posts about the Clinch talking about current techniques and flies being used. Good luck on your next outing. Planning a 3 day SoHo camping adventure next week. I will post a trip report and photos when I get back.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler

Last edited by ChemEAngler; 06-10-2011 at 01:30 PM..