Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-08-2011, 09:46 PM

Default 8 wt reel

I am in the market for a good affordable (below $200) 8 wt reel. It will mostly be used for bass, carp, smallies, and striper. There are so many choices but, I would like to get everyones opinions.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:03 PM

I got a Lamson Konic at LRO. So far, I've just caught smallies on it, but it seems like a really good match to my 7 wt. You won't need much drag for the bass, but stripers and carp are runners instead of fighters like largemouth and especially smallmouth are. A good drag and lots of backing will come in handy for the runners.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 PM

Check out the tfo reels or like the ross cla reels.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 PM

The Fly Shop's C3La reel is just a little more than $200, but comes with 3 cartridges ("spools") for your various line/leader configurations. Most reels with 2 spare spools would cost much more.

It's very well built and IMO sharp looking. It has anodized aluminum construction and a sealed drag. Check it out at:

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/produ...rb7gdgnbd4shg6
Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Ross CLA is probably just outside your $200 budget, but it might be worth stretching a bit.

Ross Flyrise might work at a lower price point. Has the same drag as the Rhythm. I've played with one in my local shop and it felt pretty good. I might pick one up.

Lamson Konic gets good reviews as well. The Lamson Guru is comparable to the CLA.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:54 PM

I use the Lamson Konic 3.5 on my 7wt and highly recommend it for the price. I also have a Sage 2080 on my 8wt. Both reels are excellent quality and super drag systems. The 2080 is just over $200.00 only because of the finish. The Sage 1880 is the same reel but with the flat finish similiar to the lamsons.
Both reels are salt safe also and good for bass , carp and striper fishing. buy an extra spool for sinktip or full sink lines. you'll need it for the lakes