Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 PM

Default 3 Days on SoHo....

I just got back from a 3-day trip to the SoHo. This is kind of a regular trip we take, and I was very surprised to see the number of anglers out there beginning on Thursday, and increasing each following day. Water was a bit higher than normal, but still very wadable.

I talked to an older gentleman who has fished the river for two weeks consecutively for each of the past three months, and he said that the past two days have been the best sulfur hatch of the year. I wasn't fishing with him, but his fishing partner told me that he probably caught 70 fish to his 15. Sure enough the old man showed up and said he probably caught 80 fish in 4 hours of fishing. He showed me his fly, and it definitely had been abused.

It was very hit-or-miss for most people on the water. I saw and talked to lots of people who were skunked. I probably averaged 25 trout/day swinging flies. Mornings were very good swinging soft hackles in the seams and riffles. When I say soft hackles I am talking #20 BWO emergers or midges. Mid-day from 10AM till 3PM was pretty much dead with the ocassional fish being taken. From 3:00 on is when the magic began. However, it only was magical if you had the exact fly imitation. Thankfully, I got into them yesterday taking a #18 medium yellow sulfur w/ bleached deer hair sparkle dun pattern. I tried two other shades of sulfur, and both bleach and natural hair wings before finding the one that worked. So, I spent an hour trying to find the right fly, but once I found it the fish were taking it so hard that I had three swallow the fly. One brown actually jumped out of the water and ate the fly as he was entering the water. I fished that fly in two runs for the last hour of the day. I was probably on a 20 trout/hr pace with the fly I mentioned above.

This morning was nuts! People were walking in on top of each other, and I just chose to pack up and come on back home. That is not my cup of tea. I even saw quite a few bait slingers today out there keeping anything with size to it. However, I think the sulfur hatch up there is just now getting ramped up. Be advised though to take a wide variety of sulfur patterns in different shades of yellow, orange, or some combination. Those trout can be some the most finicky I have ever fished for. If you go good luck, and happy Father's Day!

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-18-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Hartsell View Post
ffs,
I just got back home from a trip to the South Holston this morning. The water is running a little higher and it seemed to be affecting the fish. If they could drop the flow a little and still keep the temperature in check, it would fish a little better. I only caught one fish before two young men walked right in on top of me and that finished my day. This seems to happen every time I go to this river. It is in bad need of a "river ethics class".
I moved to the CUL-de-SAC and I could not even find a place to park so things may not be too good for the weekend. Rod Champion said the heavier flows did not affect the Sulfur hatch. Several people came into the flyshop this morning while I was there and they were not catching fish.
Hugh
Hugh,
Were you fishing at Jud's place (Pursuit Farms) this morning? If so, I think I saw the young guys you are speaking of doing that to a couple people. I woke up to find about 12 people stumbling around on the river, and chose to just break camp and head back to Knoxville.

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-19-2011, 05:20 AM

Default Yesterday on the SOHO

Travis,
I was in North Carolina yesterday helping my wife to celebrate Father's Day with some of her family,
Let me congratulate you for catching so many nice fish while you were there and just scratch my head while trying to figure out how to deal with the bad manners that we all experience on the river some time. I think some times it has to be a form of flattery and may be the only way that some beginning fishermen know how to take part in a sport that does have some gentlemanly qualities. I know when I was younger and still just getting involved in the sport of fly fishing that I did not always follow sensible etiquette, but time and experience helped to smooth the way. Sometimes just setting a good example may be the best teacher, but it does make you really grit your teeth when trying to deal with those occasions.

I do like what you had to say about being prepared with several different shades of Sulfur patterns while on this river. Those fish can show their double PHDs on certain days and really key on one particular pattern. Thanks for all the reports from everyone.
Hugh
Old 06-19-2011, 09:44 AM

The Elk is fishing better than any river in the area, & less crowded.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:13 PM

Travis, did you try any beetles while you were up there. Just wondering as I'm headed up there next week.

www.flyfishtennessee.com
www.facebook.com/flyfishtennessee
Old 06-20-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurer View Post
Travis, did you try any beetles while you were up there. Just wondering as I'm headed up there next week.
Kris,
I tied a bunch up to try, and never even got around to it. I know a couple guys who tear them up pounding the shoreline with beetles. Maybe next time.

Best of luck to you next week, hope you catch a boatload.

Email ChemEAngler