Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 06-18-2011, 01:32 AM

$610??, That is crazy!!!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:12 AM

The winning bid was $610! Jeez.

Bill
Old 06-18-2011, 03:01 PM

I'm selling mine I use capes 75% of the time anyway.

ChemEAngler,
I just saw your questions about Whiting Capes. IMO Whiting is the gold standard in hackle, both capes and saddles. The stems are thinner, the barb count is higher, and the hackle is longer. Any hackle will become brittle as it ages. I try to keep mine in a sealed container, and in a temperature controlled environment. I was talking with Walter Babb at Troutfest about hackle and we both agreeded that hackle has improved more in recent years than any other aspect of fly tying. The Whiting pro grade capes of today are better than any hackle that was available from anyone 20 years ago. Not only are the feathers longer and the barb count higher, but the small sizes and number of small feathers on the higher grade capes is unbelievable. Years ago you might have had a hand full of feathers smaller than 18'a, now the upper 20% of the cape is 18 and smaller. Other hackle breeders have also made great strides in their hackle as well. There are some good buys out there if you look around from breeders like Collins, Keough, and Metz. Especially if you tie mostly in the more commonly used sizes such as 10-18. I personally prefer a cape that contains more of those sizes, I don't tie dries smaller than 20 most of the time anyway, and the more costly higher grade capes are not always the best value for me.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:36 AM

None of the fly shops in the Dallas area have any grizzly hackle in stock!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:31 PM

I found this interesting.

They are long, thin feathers that come from roosters that are bred specifically for this purpose. There are only two farms in the United States that have this stock.
The roosters live in a beautiful, air conditioned barn in cages. At about 15 months they are killed for their feathers, which are sold as "saddles" or "pelts" Fishermen use them to tie flies with for fishing.
The result of specific breeding, these birds are not eaten but turned into compost or feed for other farm animals. We do not eat them.
So these birds are killed specifically for their feathers. They are not cage free, they do not molt their feathers, they are bred to NOT molt so that their feathers will grow as long and even as possible.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 PM

Maybe those PETA people will realize this and lean on their celeb buddies to end this hair extension fad. I'm seeing some necks on ebay being advertised as saddles, but folks are not falling for it and the prices are low although they may get bidded up toward the end of the bid. There is a white saddle going for over $500 at last check.