Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-18-2011, 04:05 PM

Default Eastern Shore, VA

Has anyone done any fishing in this area. Next year I will be spending a week in Cape Charles with my family, and they know I will be doing some fishing. My dad, some of my nephews, and a friend may join me. We will be there at the end of May and beginning of June. Looks like there are lots of places to go, but I have not been there.

My first searches for guides did not show much, so any advice is appreciated. Including gear, I don't have any salt water stuff yet, but intend to buy some soon.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by danp413; 06-22-2011 at 10:00 PM..
Old 06-24-2011, 08:42 AM

I'll throw this out to you since you haven't had any bites yet . It has been about 20 something years since I was over in that part of the world, but you are not far from Assateague Island/Chincoteague Bay. If you want to fish the surf, the VA end of the island use to be quite popular and from what I recall productive. I remeber the lowest end of the island use to be closed quite often to turtle and plover nesting, but not sure if that is still the case. If you search that area for info I am sure you can come up with some good contacts. There use to be a few boats that would go out from Chicoteague. The bay was also productive at that time and if you want to wade fly fish you can access the bay from a few spots including the Assateague NP/FWS (Virginia end is a combo Nat'l Park/USFWS area) area accross from Chincoteague. I wasn't a fly fisher back then but I gotta beleive there would be something there. If nothing else the blue crabbing use to be phenomenal there, which is fun for the younger kids. I know it is not exactly where you are at, but it is close and is an option, but also my info is quite dated.

Last edited by Hoosier; 06-24-2011 at 11:41 AM..
Old 06-24-2011, 11:23 PM

Thanks Hoosier! That is good info. It backs up what I thought I was seeing. There are places that rent kayaks for that area, but most people are not fly fishing. I might have to take the nephews crabbing. I was already planning on fishing with them. They aren't hooked on fly fishing yet, but they will go fishing with me anyway.

If anyone else out there has some more advice, I am still watching this.

later,
Dan