Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-11-2011, 08:04 PM

Default Otter Creek, KY

Anybody fished it since it reopened? Have been about four times and caught a lot of smallmouth and tons of stocker rainbows. Spent 10 hours Thursday wading from the blue hole to Garnettsville parking lot Thursday and noticed some areas in between with what looks like dydimo. Anybody else seen this and know if that is indeed what it is?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:31 PM

I haven't fished it since it reopened. I figured that they quit stocking it. What were you getting the rainbows on? I might try and fish there some time this week.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:56 AM

If you go please post a report. I too thought they had stopped stocking it.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:36 PM

They stocked it in April, May and June. We were catching them drifting Bead Head Hare's Ear nymphs. My buddy was using an indicator and I was fishing mine below a size 14 Royal Wulff.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:29 PM

Thanks for info
Old 06-23-2011, 09:14 AM

Before Mayor Jerry A. shut the park down, OC was a great place to go close to L-ville if you were getting withdrawal symptoms about fly fishing. BHPT, Prince nymphs, and Griffiths knats always seemed to work well for me. and yes, there were smallies in there too.

Glad the state F&W took it over, maybe it will now get the attention that the park deserves.

Bill
Old 07-03-2011, 08:46 AM

I left the Ft Knox last year for Ft Carson Co but still have some friends in the area and know that the post still stocks their waters even if they did not there is some reproduction on the upper end of the stream on post as well as escapees from the McCracken Springs nursery. Get a Post license, should be less than $20.00. Hatches were much better on post anyway. Isos and big yella drakes both #14 are in abundance at this time of year. Fish in the pumphouse are upstream, or try to get into hunting are #12 and fish up to the largesprings in the mddle of the creek; you'll see them the come up like a a fountain in the streambed, above those largemouth and smallies pick up until the stream ducks in and out of underground aquifers. There were also places above the post to access the stream for smallies and redeye.

Large nypmhs under a #12 and #14 stimis were the ticket on the trout waters I mentioned. Small gotchas were great on smallies.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones