Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-07-2011, 02:47 PM

Post Clinch River: Police Reports/Notes of Interest [Mar-Jul 2011]

I thought some of you might be interested in a few of these reports and notes from http://www.norrisnews.net/city-hall.html.
Quote:
Norris Police Reports

Word To The Wise:

• * Theft of a TVA truck (it was recovered in town) and a break-in at a TVA building, both over the July 4 weekend.
  • * Removal of a mailbox shaped like a fish lure from a property in the 90 block Reservoir Road on July 2.
  • July 6, 9:01 p.m.: Lewd behavior. Norris police checked a parking area off Powerhouse Road after receiving a report of a couple having intimate relations in a small black convertible there. The vehicle was not found.
  • July 4, 7:12 p.m.: Disabled car. A silver sedan was reported broken down and partly blocking the road on Norris Freeway near Island Home Baptist Church. Police found that the owner was moving the car into the church lot and had called AAA to tow it.
  • July 1, 7:42 p.m.: Suspicious person. A man told police that a suspicious man in a black Michigan car was parked at the end of the Songbird Trail; police checked the man and found no issues.
Recent Weekly Summaries

NORRIS, 6/29/11
  • an off-duty ranger at Norris Dam State Park reported hearing a crash while he was walking his dog the night of June 22 (a black Chevy pickup had a hit a tree; police directed traffic while the Tennessee Highway Patrol had the roadway cleared).
NORRIS, 6/15/11
  • * A possibly rabid coyote, staggering and foaming at the mouth, was reported June 14 near Rice Grist Mill in Norris Municipal Watershed (it was gone when police arrived).
  • * At 2 a.m. June 14, police found a door forced open at the Crosby Threshing Barn in Norris Dam State Park. The barn and the nearby Rice Grist Mill and Lenoir Museum appeared secure but the door was damaged; a park ranger took a report.
  • June 8 below Norris Dam, where a 54-year-old man had fallen on rocks along the river and broken his arm (he was carried up the steep slope to an ambulance and taken to Parkwest Medical Center, Knoxville).
  • a couple was reported at 9:08 p.m. June 9 being intimate in a public area at the Norris Dam visitor center (when an officer arrived they had left);
NORRIS 6/7/11
  • * On June 4 at 12:30 p.m., a woman flagged down a Norris officer at Powerhouse Road and Norris Freeway, saying she had been running on the Songbird Trail when she noticed a man near the canoe launch staring at her. He asked if he could run with her, she said; she told him no, but he tried to run with her anyway. Frightened, she ran as fast as she could to her car. Police did not find the man; extra patrols were ordered for the area.
NORRIS 5/25/11
  • A half-grown Angus steer (or a big black Angus bull, as some startled residents described him) led police a merry chase through Norris neighborhoods on Sunday, May 22, his progress marked by a cacophony of barking dogs.

The bovine was first reported at 11 a.m. in the roadway in the 130 block Oak Road; several more callers, including this reporter on West Norris Road, told police they had seen the beast before he turned up at 11:40, blocking the highway at Norris Freeway and the TVA Weir Dam. An officer chased him off the road, the creature ran into the woods and at 12:21 p.m. appeared in a yard in the 50 block Hickory Trail before running back into the trees once more.

Chief Danny Humphrey estimated the size of the steer at 500 or 600 pounds, saying, “There are bears bigger than he was.” Humphrey tried again Monday, May 23, to capture the steer near Island Home Baptist Church, but he ran west toward Hillvale Road, out of the city limits. The last Humphrey heard, he said, county officers were trying to corral the steer near the Museum of Appalachia and the NAGAF ball fields.
NORRIS, 5/18/11
  • on May 16, Norris police helped TVA police rescue a 9-year-old boy trapped on a rock ledge at the West Overlook of Norris Dam;
  • Norris police assisted a Norris Dam State Park officer May 14 in checking on a 911 hangup call at the park campground (the park officer arrested a man for having an open beer container);
  • man threatening suicide April 26 found holding a knife to his throat at the West Overlook of Norris Dam (captured without injury);
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-07-2011, 02:56 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I thought some of you might be interested in a few of these reports and notes from http://www.norrisnews.net/city-hall.html.

"
* On June 4 at 12:30 p.m., a woman flagged down a Norris officer at Powerhouse Road and Norris Freeway, saying she had been running on the Songbird Trail when she noticed a man near the canoe launch staring at her. He asked if he could run with her, she said; she told him no, but he tried to run with her anyway. Frightened, she ran as fast as she could to her car. Police did not find the man; extra patrols were ordered for the area. "

That sounds like one of Grouseman's moves...
Old 07-07-2011, 05:42 PM

I bumped into an exuberant young fellow a few weeks ago who was just learning to fly fish on the Clinch.

He told me that a few weeks prior while fishing near the jail a TWRA officer showed up while he was wading the river and that three others who were spin fishing promptly left. Seems the officer started walking the bank and found three large trout on a stringer un-attended by anyone and chose to write this young man a ticket claiming they must be his fish.

The odd thing is this newbie is not talented enough to catch these fish!

The newbie (to his credit) was still excited to be learning fly fishing and did not appear to know very much as his fly line was incorrectly attached to his reel (of course I remedied this situation). This kid would be excited to catch ANY trout much less kill three large trout and try to hide them.

Kudos to the kid for claiming he would win on his day in court and shame on the officer.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhrt View Post
"
* On June 4 at 12:30 p.m., a woman flagged down a Norris officer at Powerhouse Road and Norris Freeway, saying she had been running on the Songbird Trail when she noticed a man near the canoe launch staring at her. He asked if he could run with her, she said; she told him no, but he tried to run with her anyway. Frightened, she ran as fast as she could to her car. Police did not find the man; extra patrols were ordered for the area. "

That sounds like one of Grouseman's moves...
This incident was a little freaky. My mother and sister both walk these trails daily and I would be extremely upset if someone did this to one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
I bumped into an exuberant young fellow a few weeks ago who was just learning to fly fish on the Clinch.

He told me that a few weeks prior while fishing near the jail a TWRA officer showed up while he was wading the river and that three others who were spin fishing promptly left. Seems the officer started walking the bank and found three large trout on a stringer un-attended by anyone and chose to write this young man a ticket claiming they must be his fish.

The odd thing is this newbie is not talented enough to catch these fish!

The newbie (to his credit) was still excited to be learning fly fishing and did not appear to know very much as his fly line was incorrectly attached to his reel (of course I remedied this situation). This kid would be excited to catch ANY trout much less kill three large trout and try to hide them.

Kudos to the kid for claiming he would win on his day in court and shame on the officer.
Corbo,
That is interesting! I do know that TWRA is creating a more obvious and frequent presence on the Clinch. I know most of the officers very well and I would hate for one of them to err on a decision that has a reasonable explanation supported by witnesses. He may have been with the other guys and in possession of the fish at one point or another....? The guys I know do not just walk up and write tickets at the church area. The usually have their binoculars on for a reason and they have adequate information on who to approach first on the water. I hate that the kid got a ticket and I hope it comes out well for him. I know that the officers are only trying to protect our resources and fulfill their obligations as TWRA Agents.

*Also, be sure and have your boat/trailer in tip shape on August 5th if you are launching at Peach Orchard or using Hillvale.

THP Announces Checkpoints

The Tennessee Highway Patrol will be conducting several drivers’ license roadside safety checkpoints between now and the end of September in Anderson County. August 5th on Hillvale at Peach Orchard. The THP says these checkpoints have proven to be an effective way of enforcing the state’s drivers’ license laws while ensuring the protection of all motorists. The THP will also conduct a roadside sobriety checkpoint on July 29th on Highway 61 at Bethel Road and another on September 23rd on State Route 62, a half-mile east of Union Valley Road.

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 07-07-2011 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Added Response
Old 07-11-2011, 02:09 PM

Most of this is why I carry 100% of the time down there. Can't ever get a warden to show up let alone a Norris cop if you needed one in a hurry.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:52 PM

Flat,
You will be noticing some serious presence now. You should be hearing more about people being checked on the river at all points. All I can say is that I hope the fish mongers have their tape measures.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 PM

Talking

Sounds like it's a popular place to go fornicate in the backseat too.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:59 AM

Sorry the young man got a ticket but I question the logic of the officer. I just hope I'm not around a bank robbery. It's a shame that we don't have more officers to enforce the laws.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 PM

Remember this. Every story has three sides. Yours, Mine and the TRUTH!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrinG View Post
Sounds like it's a popular place to go fornicate in the backseat too.
It sure was when I was a teenager. The view of the dam at night from the east side of the park at the power lines is absolutely amazing. Just have to watch out for the prowling deer and racoons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trico View Post
Remember this. Every story has three sides. Yours, Mine and the TRUTH!
...and each story is always muddled by interpretation!