Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-11-2011, 05:53 PM

Default Good Info

Clearlock,

That is great information. I wish we had that information before we went. We went to Six Mile but did not follow the trail far enough. We thought the river went into a canyon where there would be no access.

Did you go up high above the BLM land on the Encampment? We wondered if there was access up there from the road.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:32 AM

We went up the lower end of the Encampment for quite a ways on the BLM land. If I remember right there was a parking lot of some sort next to a campground and the trail ran along the river. I can't remember how far it was, but I would guess that we walked a few miles at least before we started fishing. We actually didn't do really well on this lower stretch, although my friend did lose a monster brown. We really liked the upper meadow section along the colorado border in the Medicine Bow. If we ever went back we would probably spend less time on the North Platte and more time on the encampment both upper and lower.

But we were also there mid july and temps were in the 90's everyday, maybe we just hit the NP at a bad time.

Ben
Old 07-13-2011, 03:02 PM

Default Encampment

Hey Ben,

We walked up the trail in the BLM area until we got past all the cabins on the other side of the river. We did not stay that long, but I am sure we would have had success if we had. The river looked great.

How far was the drive from Encampment to the meddow area you are talking about? It was a dirt road for most of the drive wasn't it?

Thanks for the information.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 PM

Accsess to the North Platte should not be a problem out of Larimie. You got the six mile section between Pickaroon and Six Mile and the Encampment and Dougles. All in the Medicine Bow National Forest. Fourseasons anglers were kind enough to keep this years deposit till next year at the same time. Off to the Conejos River in two days.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:21 PM

Don,

I can't remember exactly how far it was from the town of encampment to that upper stretch I was talking about. I think it took around an hour or so to get to the parking area. You take hwy 70 west to forest rd 550. This is the section in the medicine bow, and is near hog park reservoir. Hog park creek also feeds into the encampment in the meadow and it in itself is a pretty cool little creek. The meadow section sits right along the colorado border, I think i actually wandered into colorado and didn't realize it until I was walking back and saw the sign. The meadow then dumps down into a gorge type section which we didn't explore very much, only because the meadow was so much fun. And yes it is a dirt/gravel road but is rather well maintained.

Ben