Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-10-2011, 11:36 PM

Rog,
Thanks man, I'll do that. You know I've been back on Jake's numerous times taking pics of the cabins and, last week, the cemetary, but have never wet a line in it! I went back out to "River Lodge" ( the Spence House) and started up from there after I finished taking afew pics of the cabins and cemetary and worked up from there. Got caught in a downpour, stepped up on some roots and skinned my shin, bruised both legs, and got soaked! Called it quits after that for the day. That's about LR 5: Bran:0 cause this is definately not the first time. I've gotten skunked on LR so many times it's pathetic but I do good on WPLP, Road Prong, WCP, Greenbrier, and numerous others, do NOT understand it!
I'm in your neck of the woods this week, on Amelia Island FL, I brought the 7 wt. and the 5 wt. I'm going to try the harbour side after work a couple days this week. Have no idea but, the other guys are playing golf which has little interest to me so I thought I'd fish after work.--Bran
Tight Lines <))))>><
Old 07-11-2011, 11:14 AM

Didn't they reopen the store back by the cabins on Jakes Creek?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 PM

They opened up the old Appalachian Clubhouse again. They're getting ready to open the old "River Lodge" soon, otherwise known as the pink house or Spence house.
The old club is locked up but is available now as a day rental facility, I went up and looked at it some and it's been done nicely with respect to leaving everything original that could stay or was serviceable. It's a little nostalgic siiting out in the rockers on the porch and thinking about those old b&w pics I've seen of the Knoxville elite summer crowds from the 1920's sitting out there playing cards, etc. I personally htink it's pretty neat! I'm fascinated by the stories form the LR Railroad and those days.
I went up and took pics of Daisy town and the cemetary before I went fishing on Thursday. That turned out to be good planning on my part as I ended up fishing in the storm, slipping and skinning up both shins, and limping back out to the truck.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:20 AM

Bran,

Cool stuff man...I saw the pink cabin and didn't realize it was off limits until after I had fished (they don't have a sign as you walk up to it that I saw...then again, I think I need a stronger prescription on my glasses so...). I don't do much sight seeing but I need to buy Mr. Casada's books and show myself around one trip. I usually only get a full day to fish and a couple of hours or so on the first day and then have to head back home to take care of my weekend chores etc.

Dwayne
Old 07-13-2011, 10:48 PM

Brf, it's the same anywhere you go. I lived in DC for 2 years and still have never been to the Smithsonian. When you live somewhere and have access it's just not something you pay much attention to and we've always got things to do and places to go.
I love the history around the Little River Railroad co. and the Elkmont area as well as Tremont and the Walker Valley. I have devoured every book and internet article I could find on any of it and I don't even have any family connection there. I'm not sure why but it just fascinates me and I live in the middle of Civil War battle fields, history everywhere, but the mountains just fascinate me.
Mrs. Alice Townsend built the pink house, she called it "River Lodge". It was a poorly insulated summer house. She built a house next door, which the big rock columns originally led to, that she called "Happy Landings". It was an insulated winter home and looked like something from a fairy tale book (it burned in 1968, 1 year before she died). She built the horse livery over across from them and called it "Spindle Top", later to be the tenant house in the upper portion above the horse stables. She also owned and rented 2 of the houses on Daisy Town. She is buried in the upper Elkmont Cemetary. If those places could talk they would have some stories to tell!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:02 AM

Ha ha! Man you got my juices flowin' I may try to visit that cemetery if I can find it. Gonna be up in a couple of weeks (unless something gets in the way). I almost had a job at OakRidge Research and now I'm wishing I had taken it! Less money but a lot closer to the mountains!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:11 AM

Bran,

When you say Mrs. Townsend is buried in upper elkmont, is there more than one cemetary at Elkmont? I have been to the one right above Jakes Creek. Are there others?

Have admired the pink house for years. Very glad to hear it will not be allowed to rot down like the others. It is good that the Park is saving a little Elkmont history.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:04 PM

Yes, if you turn left before you get to the Wonderland and go up the dirt road there's a cemetery there.