Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhrt View Post
"
* On June 4 at 12:30 p.m., a woman flagged down a Norris officer at Powerhouse Road and Norris Freeway, saying she had been running on the Songbird Trail when she noticed a man near the canoe launch staring at her. He asked if he could run with her, she said; she told him no, but he tried to run with her anyway. Frightened, she ran as fast as she could to her car. Police did not find the man; extra patrols were ordered for the area. "

That sounds like one of Grouseman's moves...
That wasn't me....I'm more of a jogger.

I saw the guy in the black Thunderbird with MI plates. Even I thought he was creepy and took down his plates.

I walk down there all the time and run into a weirdo ever now and again.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 07-14-2011, 10:48 PM

man threatening suicide April 26 found holding a knife to his throat at the West Overlook of Norris Dam (captured without injury);

Only Two reasons for this to happen....either he was a bait fisherman that realized that old grandmothers fish like he does....or that he told stories about how big the fish he caught were all made up to make himself look good until he looked in the mirror are realized his ways.

Madison
.....get a carry permit, and a ruler. Fear no one, or the truth. HA!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
man threatening suicide April 26 found holding a knife to his throat at the West Overlook of Norris Dam (captured without injury);

Only Two reasons for this to happen....either he was a bait fisherman that realized that old grandmothers fish like he does....or that he told stories about how big the fish he caught were all made up to make himself look good until he looked in the mirror are realized his ways.
I hated to hear about this lost soul. Things happen in life and sometimes people lose Faith and hope. I only wish that I could reach out to him and to try lend a shoulder to get him on his feet! I shared this report in hopes that it would remind us to be more aware of others and increase our situational awareness! One of our forum friends was the fisherman who broke his arm. I was told from a friend that he laid on the riverbank for about 30 minutes before someone heard his requests for help.

Quote:

Madison
.....get a carry permit, and a ruler. Fear no one, or the truth. HA!

Flat, fortunately God gave me the best protection and the ability to reason! I try to exude a friendly demeanor and kind spirit. This seems to protect me from most difficult situations.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-16-2011, 09:20 AM

Madison,
I am glad you are such a trusting and kind soul. We need more folks like you. I've been on the other end of trying to help the folks hurt by the criminal element that is all around us. The meth heads, etc will kill you for their next fix, or if you come up on their cooking operations in the national parks while your fishing. The jails are full of the folks that got caught for preying on the innocent nice souls that tried to help these people or who where just caught in the wrong place and wrong time.

Just being prepared to protect myself, instead of using National Dial A Prayer.....911.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story...111446&catid=2
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/ja...-2010/?print=1
Old 07-16-2011, 12:46 PM

I spent 36 years in law enforcement. This year I had the unpleasant task of attending the funeral for one of our officers shot and killed in the line of duty.
I guess I have a pretty poor opinion of mankind in general. Still Madison makes a good point I believe the vast majority of time you can avoid a confrontation by not being part of one. It normally takes too to tangle. Don't let it get that far. Let it be you to just walk away. There are those rare circumstances when you can run into the person who means you harm. You can also be involved in the far more likely incident of a serious crash. I hear a lot of talk about being armed and everyone thinks they are prepared. I can't help but think carrying a firearm gives most people a false sense of security. Enough said. I am retired and really don't mean to participate on this site for such talk. Let's go fishing!
Old 07-17-2011, 08:48 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I hated to hear about this lost soul. Things happen in life and sometimes people lose Faith and hope. I only wish that I could reach out to him and to try lend a shoulder to get him on his feet! I shared this report in hopes that it would remind us to be more aware of others and increase our situational awareness! One of our forum friends was the fisherman who broke his arm. I was told from a friend that he laid on the riverbank for about 30 minutes before someone heard his requests for help.

Flat, fortunately God gave me the best protection and the ability to reason! I try to exude a friendly demeanor and kind spirit. This seems to protect me from most difficult situations.
I'm with you on this one

Reason is much better. In the last 20 years I have had less than a handful of encounters that have spooked me a bit. While some may see this as an argument to carry, I would argue otherwise. One of these situations the guy actually pulled a gun, and in another the guy had a pistol in his pants that he made sure we all saw as he was acting all "incest crazy". While both of these people made sure to dominate, and ensure they had the upper hand they were both just using the gun for leverage. In one of these cases the guys behavior was so outrageous that if I would have had a gun I would have shot him. I'm sure it would have been justified, but am glad it didn't turn out that way. I think it was much better of me to apoligize, even though I wasn't doing anything wrong, and use reason to get out of a situation after letting him rant. While some may see this as cowardly, or letting a "bad guy" just go on to do it to someone else, I think it was the best thing as it diffused a crazy situation. I also don't have to live with someone's life on my conscience.

I have nothing against guns, own a couple, and grew up in an law enforcement family that interacted heavily with them. While I believe there are places where you might want to carry, I believe that in 90% of the Smokies you are just carrying a bunch of extra weight, and really there is no need for a gun.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
I bumped into an exuberant young fellow a few weeks ago who was just learning to fly fish on the Clinch.

He told me that a few weeks prior while fishing near the jail a TWRA officer showed up while he was wading the river and that three others who were spin fishing promptly left. Seems the officer started walking the bank and found three large trout on a stringer un-attended by anyone and chose to write this young man a ticket claiming they must be his fish.

The odd thing is this newbie is not talented enough to catch these fish!

The newbie (to his credit) was still excited to be learning fly fishing and did not appear to know very much as his fly line was incorrectly attached to his reel (of course I remedied this situation). This kid would be excited to catch ANY trout much less kill three large trout and try to hide them.

Kudos to the kid for claiming he would win on his day in court and shame on the officer.
Corbo,

What is the definition of "un-attended" down there? Is it illegal to be in the river fishing and have your legal catch tied up at the bank, or do you have to maintain constant possession?

I would assume the officer would have to "prove" a possession link to the kid at the same time the fish were unattended, in court, if he showed up as the accuser. Good luck with that one, unless he has photos.

This seems like pretty weak and petty enforcement, when their presence and enforcement is certainly needed and appreciated. Bad or sloppy enforcement is almost as bad, if not worse than no enforcement.

What say you forum members? Educate me on this one so I don't fall into the trap myself.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 08-05-2011, 07:42 AM

THP Announces Checkpoints

The Tennessee Highway Patrol will be conducting several drivers’ license roadside safety checkpoints between now and the end of September in Anderson County. August 5th on Hillvale at Peach Orchard. The THP says these checkpoints have proven to be an effective way of enforcing the state’s drivers’ license laws while ensuring the protection of all motorists. The THP will also conduct a roadside sobriety checkpoint on July 29th on Highway 61 at Bethel Road and another on September 23rd on State Route 62, a half-mile east of Union Valley Road.
to choose, to respond, to change.”