Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-27-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
Where do you get your components for such a build?
John,
These last 2, I got from Jim Chambers (www.flintlocks.com). This rifle is, I believe number 18 for me, could be number 19, kind of loose track after a while.

I've bought components from a lot of sources. Typically, I walk around commercial row at the NMLRA National Shoots and start picking out parts that go together for whatever rifle I have visioned in my mind.

I have arthritis in my hands pretty bad now so the days of cutting stocks from a square block of wood are pretty much over so I get the stocks that are rough shaped. I usually do some pretty heavy modifications on the stocks and hardware to suit what is in my mind at the time. I've been fortunate enough to mess around with a lot of old original flintlocks so usually have a pretty decent idea of where I'm going to go when I start a project. As with most projects, not all end up where I had intended when I started but after a while, you realize there are few mistakes that can't be salvaged. I've come to believe that is why one sees different originals from the same maker with some vastly different features. He started on something, goofed up and had to change directions in the middle.

Since Jim only sells flintlocks and rifle parts, I reckon he's not in any kind of competition with LRO.

Ms. Paula or Byron, let me know and I'll remove the link if it's a problem for you guys. I don't think Jim even fishes or if he does, I've never heard him say anything about it.

Jeff
Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 PM

update in first post.

here's the album of the finished product.
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...fnles1/Fowler/
Old 07-13-2011, 10:28 PM

Really nice, I love old firearms
Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 PM

flyman,
Thanks. This flinglock fowler is patterned after guns on the American frontier from the 1750's up till the early 1800's. My thinking on this one was to make a gun representatige of the 1760-1780 period.

Jeff
Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 PM

Great post
Years ago many of the old Explorer Post and Scout Camp staff were into building blackpowder rifles and guns and frontier living. I was a little too young at the time. Thanks for the posts
Old 07-15-2011, 05:27 PM

Jeff, those look great. I am wanting two flintlocks in the future, a deer rifle and a shotgun for turkey. I have taken both deer and turkey with my longbow, but would like to try it with a flintlock.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky Tim View Post
Jeff, those look great. I am wanting two flintlocks in the future, a deer rifle and a shotgun for turkey. I have taken both deer and turkey with my longbow, but would like to try it with a flintlock.
KY Tim, that gun I just finished would easily serve both purposes in a single piece.

It is a .62 cal smoothbore. .62cal is also known as 20 gauge. It can shoot shot or it can shoot a single round ball.

For deer, a .62 roundball will anchor one with a single well placed shot pretty quickly. A smoothbore is just as good as a rifle out to about 50 yards.

With shot, it's a 20 gauge shotgun. No choke but with a 46" barrel, the shot pattern is acceptable. At the ranges you're shooting turkey it would absolutely do the trick.

Cool thing about a muzzle loader is you can load them as hot or as mild as you want (within reason in both directions of course).

Just a thought.

Jeff