Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-25-2011, 07:33 PM

Default Caney Reports?

I haven't heard much about the caney from you guys lately. I'm headed up there thursday-sunday. Hows it been fishing? I checkd the generation schedule for tomorrow and they are generating from 10 am-4 pm. Hopefully that will change or my dad and I will just have to put in lower earlier. If any of you guys have fished it lately, whats been working for you? We are hoping to get into some hopper action like this time last year, but I tied a bunchof nymphs and midges too. Any suggestions/other info is much appreciated.
RW
p.s. if any of you guys out there this weekend see a father/son in a red hyde drift boat say hey!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:33 PM

Id be curious to hear how its fishing as well. I'm moving to Lebanon and I'm looking forward to fishing the caney fork often.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:34 PM

If they would get a consistent generation schedule, it might fish pretty good, they keep the fish so off balance, they don't know whether they're coming or going
TWRA counted 291 boats from Happy to the Dam yesterday weekends are a pain for the fisherman on account of the ignorant folks they're turning loose in the rental boats & i'm being polite in my description.

rbreedi1, welcome to Lebanon, born & raised here, 30 minutes from the river here on the North side.

Grumpy
Old 07-26-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
TWRA counted 291 boats from Happy to the Dam yesterday weekends are a pain for the fisherman on account of the ignorant folks they're turning loose in the rental boats & i'm being polite in my description.
Grumpy
If there were 291 boats on Sunday I don't even want to know what Saturday's numbers were but I can tell you it was a lot!! Seemed like a holiday weekend out there...

The weather was hot the fishing was not. With only two hours of generation it made for a long float through the numerous large flotillas of canoes and kayakers out on the river. Believe it or not through all the madness fish were still caught. We brought in three nice standard issue Caney bows all right in the 15-16" range and of course saw several nice fish. I would definitely recommend using hoppers up there since these fish were all taken on cicadas. Several others had nice fish as well. I even heard about one nice rainbow brought to the net on Saturday that grew an inch every time it came up in conversation. Started out at around 20" and I think it ended up somewhere around 24" but a quality fish none the less. I know that never happens to the fish that I catch...

Tight Lines,
Old 07-26-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks grumpy.. which areas are good for wade access? And does anyone have the times that the generation takes to reach the different areas?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:00 PM

Dam, Lancaster, Happy Hollow give you more wading access.
35 miutes-Lancaster
2 hours Happy Hollow
Naturally at the Dam, you hear the horn, start walking on 1 unit, run like all get out on 2.

Grumpy
Old 07-27-2011, 12:11 PM

Lancaster requires walking through some brush that looks sketchy but is safe...be careful the bank drops off fast in spots to the left as you are looking from the road. Happy has taken a life in the last few years...watch your step. I've fished there several times and have always been fine but just in case. For "seclusion" I prefer Lancaster but it's not really secluded. It is better than Betty's or Happy in that area imo. I wish the state would buy one more patch of land for wade access. We'll need it as Nashville grows.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 PM

At Happy the weed growth can hide holes that have been scoured out over the winter. One step can go from knee deep to over your waders. A guy did die there a couple of years ago. My understanding is he stepped off into a hole and got tangle in the weeds and drown before anyone could get to him. There is a small cross at the parking lot as a memorial.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the info fellas.. look forward to fishing it and possibly meeting a few of you on the river.