Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-25-2011, 09:29 PM

A shirt pocket makes a nice creel in the smokies. I never catch anything over 8" anyway
Old 07-26-2011, 09:21 AM

As long as I have been keeping fish to eat all I have ever used is a zip lock...I usually rinse the bag each time I put an additional fish in to keep everything as cool as possible...have never had a problem....Gary...I too used to keep my catch on a stringer until I had a big snake try to eat my fish one morning...gators down here are also a worry...more than once I have had them try to eat one of my bass poppers.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:42 AM

If I'm going to keep a fish I clean it immediately streamside. One cut under the jaw and one cut from anus to the pectoral fins. Put a finger down the gullet and the guts and gills should come out in one pull. Dispose of the guts in some fast water, scrub out the blood line and back to fishing in about a minute. I keep some parachute cord in my pocket for an improvised stringer and a mesh bag sunk in the stream near camp stores the fish until meal time.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumperdoc View Post
If I'm going to keep a fish I clean it immediately streamside. One cut under the jaw and one cut from anus to the pectoral fins. Put a finger down the gullet and the guts and gills should come out in one pull. Dispose of the guts in some fast water, scrub out the blood line and back to fishing in about a minute. I keep some parachute cord in my pocket for an improvised stringer and a mesh bag sunk in the stream near camp stores the fish until meal time.
+1

If your fish is not destined for a pic and quick release, this is the way to go. Growing up, this is how my dad handled trout that were kept for the frying pan and is exactly what I do on the rare occasion when I bring home trout for friends/family. After cleaning a nice heavy duty ziploc bag with a little water in it also works well to store them in a pack/vest if needed...

Tight Lines,