Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-18-2011, 06:29 PM

Default Cranberry River in WV (need advice)

Does anyone know anything about the Cranberry River in WV? I am looking at making a trip up there around labor day. Would like some advice about accomodations (cabins or hotels). From what I read the lower part of the river has good accesability.
Any help would be appreciated

God Bless,
Dances with Trout
Old 07-18-2011, 08:41 PM

If you are accessing the Cranberry near Richwood, the only motel around is the Four Seasons Lodge. I know there is a catch and release section around a few campgrounds and that would be your best bet for fish. Check the WV Wildlife site for stocking schedules for the take and put section. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:17 PM

As was mentioned, the only hotel in Richwood is Four Seasons. If you are set on a hotel and the Four Seasons is full, Summersville and Marlinton are about an hour away.

There are USFS campgrounds near the Woodbine C&R (lower end), the lower gate, and Bishop Knob (on top between Cranberry and the Williams).

There will be plenty of fish left in the river by Labor Day as the masses stop fishing when the stock truck stops running. Your biggest problem during September is going to be BRUTALLY low water!

If you are lucky enough to have good flows, there are 9 miles of put-and-take fishing above the lower gate (bring a bike). Above that is 2+ miles of C&R - from Dogway Fork upstream to the the confluence of North and South Fork of the Cranberry. You also have a couple of miles of roadside fishing from the lower gate downstream to the Woodbine C&R. From the Woodbine shelters there is another 1/2-mile of C&R downstream.

I backpacked in from the glades in June and the fishing (wild, native, and stocked) was outstanding!

Good luck and do your rain dance.

Chris
Old 07-26-2011, 02:06 PM

If the Four Seasons hotel is full, ask about their houses/cabins. You could also call the Richwood Chamber of Commerce and ask about the cabin near Woodbine, Camp Splinter. Here is some info to help you out in the Richwood area. There are also several cabins and B&Bs within the area from Summersville to Marlinton. Like WVBrookie stated, low water is going to be brutal. I would start praying for rain now. How easily accessible are you needing the fishing? Handicap, wheelchair, etc., or just not wanting to have too far or rough of a hike? In my opinion, the fishing between the gates is much better than that below the gates. This includes the 2+miles of C&R that WVBrookie mentioned. Although, with the timeframe you are talking, crowds below the gates won't be as much of an issue, if at all. There may be much better options in the state depending on the level of accessibility that you require. Good luck and enjoy my home state!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:55 PM

Went around the time you plan to go last year. We backpacked to the second shelter and fished up to the Dogway and beyond. Water levels very low. Might want to check levels before going, unless you only want a backpaking trip.