Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fishing Classic Rods and Gear

Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 PM

Default Finally went fishing with my Bamboo rod.

I bought a Heddon rod that Stan Smart had done some work on almost two years ago, and I finally took it fishing. It is a 9' 3-piece 7 wt, but Stan made an extra handle so that you can fish with the mid and tip sections as a 6 wt.

I fished it as a 6 wt up in the Smokies below the Chimneys picnic area last weekend. The water was up, so dry fly fishing wasn't the best, but I stuck with it. I really loved the way it casted, and when I finally got a bite (on a foam beetle) it set great, and I landed a 13" rainbow.

I can't say that I will not pick up my graphites ever again, but I will definitely get the 'boo out a lot more. Now I just need to get a reel set up with a 7 wt line, so I can fish the full rod.

Does anyone do any streamer fishing with bamboo? Any advice on fishing this would be appreciated. And before you ask, yes, I rubbed it down with Johnson's Wax after it had a chance to dry.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 07-30-2011, 11:07 AM

I have two vintage Pflueger reels that will fit that rod if you are interested. 1494 1/2 with extra spool $70.00 shipped and PayPal 1495 1/2 $40.00 shipped and PP. I haven't figured out how to send a PM or I would.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:04 PM

You can e-mail me at dan dot calhoun at gmail dot com. I might be interested in the 1495 1/2.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by danp413; 07-31-2011 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: I don't want spam.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:06 PM

Default Bamboo- gotta love it!

Thanks for your thread. Sound like you had a rewarding time!
I reworked an old bamboo rod I bought in 1965 or '66. It's an 8 ft., D weight, equal about to a seven weight now. I underline it with a 6WF to stiffen that soft action that bamboo is noted for. I fish it in the Hiwassee and the Little River for old time's sake. I'm am intrigued by Stan's conversion handle. Genius! I have seen his work and feel his rods are top-notch in quality and craftsmanship.
Hmmmm......Could I make a 4 ft. rod with my tip? Two or four wt.? Have to experiment.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:55 PM

The extra handle is pretty cool. I did what Stan suggested and skipped the first guide when using it, since the first guide on the mid section is not the oversized first guide on the first section. I don't know if it really would have made a difference, because I was not shooting much line anyway. It might have if I was shooting out a lot. He said he could put a larger guide there if I wanted it, but I decided I could live with it the way it was.