Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-05-2011, 10:47 PM

Default flash flood!!!

I decided to head over to Roaring fork and check it out. The "new" road was nice and there were very few people on the road. It was very very nice to get away from the craziness of G-burg. I try to avoid it all costs. (I can't believe some people call that hussle and bussle "vacation")

While we were fishing I kept hearing rumbling, but we never saw a drop of rain. Some time later in the afternoon, we were winding down our time on RF. I was up the river 75 yards maybe and the wife and kids were playing in the water. I had just caught a nicer fish on the opposite side of the river. I crossed back over and as I look ahead to scout out my next rock hop, I noticed a "roar".

In a matter of moments I see clear water at the tail of the pool and dirty water at the head end! "OH NO!" I ran out the bank to the road and sprinted down to the family. I was never so glad to see them at the car packing up! Some wonderful person had warned them just minutes earlier of the eminent flood. I had never experienced a flash flood but it was very neat and very scary.

We went downstream and filmed the wall of water. It was at least 2 feet rise in 30 seconds!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 11:14 PM

WOW! Glad everyone got out ok. I guess the stream lived up to its name/reputation. If you can post the video, I'm sure lots of people would love to see that.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:31 PM

Radar image from today (24 hr precipitation accumulation)

Old 08-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Smile

Sam's creek had a massive flash flood recently also. It was about 4 feet over the banks in most part and in one spot where river narrowed it rose 8 maybe 10 feet. I'm planning on writing a fishing report. I'd say the water was at least 3 times what streambed could handle, and those streambeds only fill up in high water events so that's alot of water. Several Thousand CFS for sure

Mother Nature never ceases to amaze me with its dynamic scale.

An offtrail guy I know walked out while hiking up Roaring Fork last Saturday as he saw where it had flashed a few days previously with no place to go with all the rhodo hells after hearing a pretty good storm in the area. Glad you guys got out OK