Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-05-2011, 03:38 PM

Default Panther Creek

I know there are other "Panther creeks" but, the one I am going to talk about feeds in Chilhowee Lake.
Today I took my soon to be 5 yr old son to Chilhowee Lake. We headed up to the head waters to do a little trolling for trout. As has been my luck with my boat lately my trolling motor would barely pull. After some investigative work I found a fuse blown on the onboard battery charger so the batteries never charged. We did see some super nice fish feeding on schooling shad thou. So, with no trolling motor we went exploring and headed up Abrams creek and turned into Panther creek. I'd been in it before but, today we took a small hike up the stream to "play" and throw rocks. On the way in there was the usual National Park sign on the tree stating limits and sizes but, at the bottom of the sign it read in big bold letters, "POSSESSION OF BROOK TROUT PROHIBITED". It got me to wondering if the Park believes that there was a Brook trout population higher up the creek. The creek is small, comparable to the west prong of the Little River or Twenty Mile creek with some deeper plung pools. When I returned to my boat the depth finder temp guage (setting at the mouth of the creek) read 73 degrees even though there was most likely warmer water from the lake affecting the actual temp. I would guess the temperature in the river to be some what cooler. I never saw a trout but, the creek was full of small minnows and a couple smallmouth. I believe that I will give this creek a try this fall or spring.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:10 PM

The same sign about Brook trout is at cs 17 always makes me laugh when I see it. I think they just got a bunch of signs made up to cover all the bases and nailed them up everywhere. That sign is obviously very old and the regs have changed but since the park doesn't have enough man power to remove these old signs many will be hanging there forever making the backcountry look all junked up with old signs. I saw one hanging at Silers Creek on Saturday its a shame to be so far off the grid and run into worthless government signs hanging in trees that don't even apply anymore yet they never bothered to remove.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 PM

Those kind of signs are bad about falling off of the trees and getting lost in the leaf debris on the forest floor I have caught several stocker brook trout in Twenty Mile Creek down by the ranger's house that ran up from the lake.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:38 PM

In somewhat of a rabbit chasing remark, what makes me sad is that when gas stations have to go out of business, the prices as of closing day seem to always remain. What's up with that? Anyway, I sure long for the days when gas was all the way down under $2.999 a gallon